Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can 3rd party components be added to a status page via API

Dan Golden March 9, 2022

We host several pages for various clients. In addition to components we manage directly there are numerous 3rd party components we list on our pages (aws, sendgrid, etc).  The list of 3rd components is fairly long and building out those on the pages with API calls would help greatly for uniformity and time efficiency

I don't seem to see a clear explanation of how 3rd party components can be easily added via the APIs.

1 answer

1 vote
Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2022

Hi @Dan Golden ,

This is Darryl. I am here to help. :)

Understand that you would like to know if it's possible to add the Third-Party Components via API calls.

Unfortunately, this is not feasible in the current design and I have just created a Feature Request on your behalf, STATUS-311, and we will keep you posted as it doesn't have public access.

Please note that our Product team reviews all FR together and they prioritize those with higher demand to be implemented first and any FR will take months until is ready since it needs to go through Design, Development, Testing, and rolling out to Production.

Kind regards,
Darryl Lee
Support Engineer, Atlassian

Lucas Amaral Lopes March 13, 2023

Has this been implemented already? How can I follow this feature request?

Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2023

Hi @Lucas Amaral Lopes,

We appreciate your interest in the feature request.

As the most recent checking, this feature request is in the status "UNDER CONSIDERATION", which means that 

We are looking into this suggestion and believe it to be a strong candidate for our roadmap. We will continue investigating and provide a follow-up in a few months time.

As mentioned in my last comment, all the feature requests for Statuspage are logged on our internal system without providing public access to our customers.

Therefore, we will keep you posted on this thread for any status-updates.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
Darryl Lee

Like Lucas Amaral Lopes likes this
Ariel Villanea March 14, 2023

Hi Darryl,

I'm a bit confused about this response. My impression of the API call functionality was so that services like Rigor, Site24x7, Datadog, etc, could all post uptime info to the StatusPage. If that's not possible, what is the API system for and is the implication that we can only deliver uptime metrics if we're using one of the tools with pre-established integrations?

Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2023

Hi @Ariel Villanea,

Good question and I think there is a misunderstanding here.

What you are trying to achieve is to post the uptime data from your 3rd party sources to your Statuspage for clear communication. That is absolutely do-able by Statuspage API and some of them are available through the direct integrations, which are also the most powerful features Statuspage offers. This feature is called Components.

On the contrary, what this community thread and the feature request, STATUS-311, are created for is having the ability to add the Third-party Components to Statuspage directly via API requests, which is currently unavailable.

Third-party components are components that you can add to your page that reflect the status of external services. If your service is heavily dependent on a third-party component, you can add the component to your page and the status of that component will automatically be updated.

They are different from posting data from your monitoring platforms to Statuspage.

In a nutshell:

• Components: The function you can create to receive the data posted from your service/monitoring platform to display their uptime.
  • Third-party Components: Existing external services (e.g. the Outbound Service component on Mailgun's Statuspage) that you can add to your Statuspage to reflect their status. So your viewers won't need to leave your page to have a glance of the health condition of the associated external services that your organization employs.

To help you better understand those terms and jargons, here I attach some useful documents:

Hope this is helpful for answering your question.

Best regards,
Darryl Lee

Like Ariel Villanea likes this
Lucas Amaral Lopes March 16, 2023

Thank you @Darryl Lee I'm looking forward for this feature.

Like Darryl Lee likes this
Jeff Dutton October 12, 2023

Hi @Darryl Lee  I am specifically wondering if VitalSource provides statuspage API so that we can integrate their uptime data on our status page?

Nedko Hristov November 29, 2023

Is there any update on this request? Seems like a pretty easy decision. If you are still focused on owning the third party integration can you please integrate NX? https://nx.app/

Abraham Musalem
Atlassian Team
November 29, 2023

Hey @Nedko Hristov , 

Thanks for reaching out. Are you wanting us to create an integration with that service or do you want them to be added to the third -party component list? 

Thanks,
Abraham 

Jeff Dutton November 29, 2023

Since we are talking about adding to the 3rd party component list, is it possible to add VitalSource? https://status.vitalsource.com/

Nedko Hristov November 29, 2023

I want that to be added to third party components https://status.nx.app/

Abraham Musalem
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2023

Hey @Jeff Dutton , we should be able to add them. Please contact them and let them know to submit a ticket with us to get added since we'll need to work with them on a few things to get that done. 

@Nedko Hristov , we unfortunately cant add them since they are not a Statuspage customer. That page seems to be powered by BetterStack. 

Best,
Abraham 

Nedko Hristov December 5, 2023

Thanks!

Jeff Dutton December 5, 2023

@Abraham Musalem  Thanks, I have been trying to get a contact person within our org. to reach out to without success so far.  I will keep trying, however, is this something that you folks can do, i.e., reach out to your clients like VitalSource and see if they are aware of the possibility of being added as a 3rd party component?

Abraham Musalem
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2023

Hey @Jeff Dutton ,

You should be able to get in contact with VitalSource using this support form: https://support.vitalsource.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

In there, you can let them that you'd like their Statuspage to be added as a third-party component and if they can reach out to Atlassian support via support.atlassian.com to get that done. 

Best,
Abraham 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events