Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install SourceTree 2.0 on Windows via internal software distribution

Kai-Uwe Rommel May 11, 2017

We use SourceTree in our company on about 50 seats. Therefore I would like to distribute and update it with our internal software distribution system. That has worked well with 1.9 but does no longer work with 2.0.

Unfortunately, SourceTree 2.0 does no longer come with a conventional setup tool and - to make things worse - installs into the users Windows profile. That means that a) it is not available for "all" users but everyone needs to install it separately (this is a problem on Windows terminal servers) and b) is "bad" in the sense that companies usually forbid executing program files from within a users profile directory via group policies.

Does anyone have an idea/proposal how to solve those problems?

Apparently, SourceTree 2.0 is kind of a "portable" application. So I guess I can simply copy it around as I want and create some own simple setup script. Any problem to watch out for?

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2017

Hi Kai-Uwe. Last year, we removed the notion licensing and asked our developers to register the product by creating an Atlassian account. Atlassian account, allows our developers to easily accept Atlassian’s Customer Agreement and have a single login for all of our cloud products. Additionally, it ensures that SourceTree is distributed with respect to US Export Control laws.

We really appreciate you wanting to standardize on SourceTree, but unfortunately, we don’t have an elegant way to package and distribute it pre-installed on multiple machines.

We are tracking direct feedback on this specific request at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-4666. Please feel free to add your feedback, and specifics around your teams' needs.

Regarding the script, keep in mind that every user will need to use their Atlassian account to register SourceTree. Apart from that, it will depend on how complex you want to make it.

Best regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events