Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fatal: Authentication failed SourceTree 3.0

Valentina Baljak February 8, 2019

This seems to be a perennial issue, that apparently never got resolved fully.

I am currently using latest update of ST 3.0.17 and GitBlit as a remote host, but have been experiencing this problem on and off with many different versions.  OS is Windows 10.

Our office policy is to change passwords fairly frequently. every time this happens, I am unable to access remote repositories from SourceTree, and there is no way to update credentials from SourceTree. I have tried many solutions suggested by the community, none of them worked. Not even deleting psswd file in users. 

At random, I would get a chance to type in password. It does not work, and yes, I have confirmed that I can log in into my repository on GitBlit. 

One way or the other, this has been happening a lot, maybe it's time to add authentication update option to the repository settings? 

3 answers

2 votes
Valentina Baljak February 12, 2019

This is what worked for me in the end:

Go to Tools -> Options- >Authentication; remove all accounts from there and re-add an existing one with proper credentials

0 votes
Kevin McVey September 29, 2020

I tried a slightly different approach; Go to Tools->Options->Authentication and click the account with the issue.  At the bottom of the account information click Edit.  In the credentials section I'm set to OAuth as my authentication so i clicked the "Refresh OAuth Token" button.  After that i did a fetch on my repo and it worked again.  The token must have expired and it doesn't automatically renew. 

0 votes
Sergey Olshanskiy February 11, 2019

Did you try update credential through Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Credential Manager like in this answer?

Valentina Baljak February 12, 2019

I did, and it didn't work. In the end, I have removed my existing credentials and created new. It took several attempts, but it does work now. This is what I did: Tools-> Options->Authentication; removed all accounts from there (for some reason two are created) and re-added an existing one with proper credentials. Editing an existing account didn't work. Apparently I will have to go through this every time I am required to change my password.

Gregg Reece August 9, 2019

This is a recurring problem for my entire team at work.

Deleting out the credential store either by going through the options or deleting the file on the backend is about the only thing that fixes it.

Scott Bedard September 6, 2019

What file? I couldn't find any pwd file so tried all the credentials mgr options.

This is always an issue when my company forces a password update. In the old days I could blow away the pwd file and everything is good.

Now, with credentials manager crap nothing I do works and I simply don't know what to do other than abandon Sourcetree. I've tried all the recommendations (like 6 or 7) I found...nothing works.

Sourcetree is closer to a virus than a working app. In my opinion, if you can't get basic authentication right, especially after years of udpates.....you suck.

黄国斌 February 8, 2021

hi man,do this may help you.

firstly ,remove all your authentications

tools->options->authentication-delete all 

then click ok

Secondly,push your issue, choose manager-core sub-option when alert CredentialHelperSelector

it will show you like GitHub Sign  in- Sign in with your brower 

sign in ~ and may be the  helperSelector show up again ,do the same again 

you will see it done.

may it work for you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events