Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 10 file explorer does not reflect Sourcetree-initiated branch changes

John Perry May 19, 2020

Update: @Chris Weber 's workaround to #1270390 solved my issue with the Sourcetree GUI update AND branch views in the Win 10 file explorer. Thanks, Chris!

==========================================================

Hi, 

I've used Sourcetree for Mac quite a bit but I'm new to Sourcetree for Win. On Mac, if you change to a new branch in Sourcetree, the Finder view of the local repo should show only the files in your current branch. This does not seem to be the case in Sourcetree 3.3.8 on Win 10. I have a file that exists only in Branch A and when I change to Branch B, I still see that file in Win file explorer. 

Is this not a feature of Win Sourcetree, or is it a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a pref I need to set?

Some posts seem to indicate that Atlassian expects you to use the Web browser view of the remote repo (that's what opens when I click Explorer.) This isn't a very useful workflow for me. I want to browse my local repo in a file explorer, open files in my editor of choice (e.g. VisualStudio or Notepad++), and then just use SourceTree to manage commits and pulls. Having the wrong branch showing up in my file-explorer window is problematic.

BTW,  I'm not talking about the Sourcetree GUI refresh bug ( #1270390) that Sourcetree 3.3.8 GUI does not fix for me.  I did try closing all apps and windows related to the local repo: code editors, file browsers, etc. and rebooting, but I'm still experiencing the Sourcetree GUI refresh issue after doing that. I still have to hit F5 when I change branches.

Many thanks in advance for assistance! 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Perry May 19, 2020

Update: @Chris Weber 's workaround to #1270390 solved my issue with the Sourcetree GUI update AND branch views in the Win 10 file explorer. Thanks, Chris!

John Perry May 19, 2020

I actually prefer Explorer++ to the built-in Win 10 file explorer, and it wasn't updating against branch changes till I added the Sourcetree-installed git client to my PATH and rebooted. Now Explorer++ also updates correctly when I change branches in Sourcetree.

C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\bin\

John Perry May 19, 2020

Some posts seem to indicate that Atlassian expects you to use the Web browser view of the remote repo (that's what opens when I click Explorer.) 

Sorry, this was a bit of confusion on my part. Clicking Explorer does open the local file explorer. I had conflated this with Remote, which opens a Web-browser view of the remote repo. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events