Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why version 2.0.20.1 is not installed in Program Files?

Todor Georgiev May 12, 2017

Version 2.0.20.1 is installed in AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.0.20.1 not in Program Files.

When unistalled the older versions the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian" disapeared. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2017

Hi Todor, the location of SourceTree was changed a few versions ago. Now it's being installed in AppData. 

If there's any specific reason why you wanted to have it installed in Program Files, you might be interested to follow the Feature request SRCTREEWIN-7168

I hope this answers your question, Todor.

Regards!

Ana

The link you are pointing is 2 weeks old and the related version is 2.0.19.1. I just updated to 2.0.20.1 and see the change. But this doesn`t answer the question. Why Atlassian choosed AppData instead of "Program Files". 

The link for "SRCTREEWIN-7082" shows a bad side effect. Is there a good one?

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2017

Hi Todor, that was the wrong link. I've updated my response to display the correct one ;)

In response to your other question "Why Atlassian choosed AppData instead of "Program Files" ", the reason is because now users are required to register the product with their individual Atlassian account and they do not need Admin rights to install in AppData. This also means that in the future we can make use of background or partial updates. It's unusual but follows the pattern used by Click-Once, an installer process built by Microsoft.

Do you have any other question?

Regards,

Ana

Thanks Ana!

I will continue the conversation under "SRCTREEWIN-7168". I also believe that it is a strange decision as other people are giving same feedback.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events