Why does hg.exe download so much data when SourceTree is running?

Last month my boss asked me to find out why we went over our monthly data cap for our network connection. I traced it back to SourceTree on my computer. When I leave it running (which used to be 24/7), hg.exe downloads over 300MB every hour.

I use the built in mercurial. I have 20 repositories connected (mostly Bitbucket).

Is this an expected behaviour? A bug? A configuration problem on my part?

Edit (sorry, for some reason the comment window won't open):

Automatic check is the default 10 minutes. The traffic graph seemed to show constant usage rather than spikes every 10 minutes though...

Is there a way to log the commands sent to hg.exe?

I've disabled the automatic check and it seems to have stopped the excessive usage. I still don't understand why it would download so much data just checking for repository changes (especially when my repositories almost never change).

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Do you have SourceTree configured to automatically check remotes for updates (runs a fetch)? It's on by default for every 5 or every 10 minutes. 300MB seems excessive, but that might be the trigger.

I've updated my question with a reply (the comment window wouldn't open for me a few minutes ago).

This widget could not be displayed.

You can configure sourcetree to display the full output of commands that you request in a dialog, but I don't think the auto-fetch commands are included in that.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

879 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you