Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Where is the default username stored? (crashed on launch)

Edited

This issue has been posted before, and I've read the answers, which aren't working for me.

I was trying to set up Sourcetree for the first time, and fumbling around a little bit. I went to relaunch it and ever since, it has crashed on launch with the typical:

> Insufficient authentication credentials

> Failed to list teams for user [<wrong username>]

There is nothing in Windows Credential Manager for that, specifically. If I use Git CLI and put in my working credentials, they are saved in Windows Credential Manager, and I can remove them, but this doesn't affect Sourcetree.

I have completely wiped out C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\ and that did not help.

I have searched all of the Windows Registry Keys for "Sourcetree" and "Git" and found no reference to my wrong username.

Where is it hiding this saved username?

EDIT WITH ANSWER:

C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Atlassian\SourceTree\accounts.json

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Aug 28, 2020

Hi @jeff.posey,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Sourcetee have three directories under AppData\Local. Besides the Atlassian one you should have a sourctree-settings and sourcetree. Remove those too and then reinstall Sourcetree and see if that helps.

P.S. I moved your question into the right collection.

Thank you Mikael.

I found the Sourcetree directory that is a sibling of the Atlassian one under Local. I did not find a "sourctree-settings" or "sourcetree-settings" directory or anything like that.

So I kept looking. I just found it. It's under "Roaming" and the file that has the bad username is called "accounts.json".

So it looks like removing the directories under Roaming seems to do the trick!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

5,696 views 4 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you