Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the default username stored? (crashed on launch)

jeff.posey August 28, 2020

This issue has been posted before, and I've read the answers, which aren't working for me.

I was trying to set up Sourcetree for the first time, and fumbling around a little bit. I went to relaunch it and ever since, it has crashed on launch with the typical:

> Insufficient authentication credentials

> Failed to list teams for user [<wrong username>]

There is nothing in Windows Credential Manager for that, specifically. If I use Git CLI and put in my working credentials, they are saved in Windows Credential Manager, and I can remove them, but this doesn't affect Sourcetree.

I have completely wiped out C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Atlassian\ and that did not help.

I have searched all of the Windows Registry Keys for "Sourcetree" and "Git" and found no reference to my wrong username.

Where is it hiding this saved username?

EDIT WITH ANSWER:

C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Atlassian\SourceTree\accounts.json

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2020

Hi @jeff.posey,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Sourcetee have three directories under AppData\Local. Besides the Atlassian one you should have a sourctree-settings and sourcetree. Remove those too and then reinstall Sourcetree and see if that helps.

P.S. I moved your question into the right collection.

jeff.posey August 28, 2020

Thank you Mikael.

I found the Sourcetree directory that is a sibling of the Atlassian one under Local. I did not find a "sourctree-settings" or "sourcetree-settings" directory or anything like that.

So I kept looking. I just found it. It's under "Roaming" and the file that has the bad username is called "accounts.json".

So it looks like removing the directories under Roaming seems to do the trick!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events