Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "Initialising repository for git-flow" is SourceTree do?

Konstantin January 1, 2015

When I press "Git Flow" button for the first time SourceTree is asking me to initialise repository for git-flow.

I am trying to understand two things:

1. Why uncommited changes are preventing SourceTree from initialising repo for Git Flow?
  2. Why other users have to initialise repository for Git Flow again when they clone it?

So what is exactly happening when I initialising repository for git-flow?

1 answer

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2015

Gitflow is a local utility that provides shortcuts for common operations associated with one common git workflow (named "git-flow").

Before you can use gitflow, you need to "initialize" it, which basically requires you to configure the plugin. As far as I remember, the only thing you need to specify is what you want to use as the prefix for each of the types of branches gitflow supports.

Many gitflow operations involve switching branches, and git won't typically let you switch branches if you have uncommitted changes (there are some exceptions), so that is probably why gitflow won't let you init while you have uncommitted changes.

Konstantin January 2, 2015

My point is if initialising SourceTree's GitFlow has nothing to do with repository it should not care about the state of my working copy.

I was wondering if it does something else other than setting up branch prefixes.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2015

For that you'd have to ask the developer of gitflow, which isn't SourceTree/Atlassian. http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ https://github.com/nvie/gitflow

Like Miles Buckton likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events