Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can be done to improve performance of SourceTree for Mac 3.0?

Tim Ahrens November 5, 2018

Running MacBook Pro with 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram and just about any action produces the Apple in-progress spinner for painfully long periods of time.  At times the app is unusable!!  1. Are they working on this? 2. Are there settings that can be tweaked to improve wait times?  I love the features, but it is so slow

2 answers

1 vote
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2018

Hi Tim,

The short answer is yes, we're working on it. In the meantime you can reduce the diff context to cut rendering time or exclude particularly problematic file patterns like lock files.

What's being done?

• there's an initial set of refactorings in 3.0.1 which resulted in up to a 25% increase in launch/repo open times; this will ship in the next week or so
  • a much deeper refactoring, due to the age of Sourcetree's codebase, is necessary to improve other aspects of the log view; that is slated for our next major update
  • analysis for performance, architecture, and feature improvements in the diff view are underway; that is also slated for our next major update

It's definitely not being ignored. Patience and constructive feedback for the team are much appreciated. Threads such as this have a tendency to devolve; let's all keep it civil. There are humans on the other side of the screen (hi!) reading your comments who are also writing the software - put yourself in our shoes before hitting Answer in anger please.

Brian Ganninger
Senior Mac Developer, Sourcetree

0 votes
Tim Ahrens November 8, 2018

I can't count how many times SourceTree has locked up on me this week.  My suggestion is that you make this priority one, and not add another feature until this is solved, because SourceTree has locked up on me so many times this week, that I cannot get anything done. I am pretty much forced to figure out how to do stuff with another app or use command line.

Tim Ahrens November 8, 2018

BTW, I was told that I should try your beta product, and it was not noticeably better.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events