This is not so much a question as a general statement that version 1.8 / 1.8.1 of SoureTree for Windows is one of the WORST "upgrades" I've encountered in a piece of production software.
I've already opened a couple of JIRA tickets for issues I've run up against with this new version.
Now, SourceTree is crashing after just clicking a few nodes in the tree or graph. This is really pathetic, guys. It seems like core functionality was totally compromised in this release, and I get the impression that your test suite didn't have sufficient coverage to identify these issues before you released this version to the world.
There's been a LOT of complaints about the recent release (try clicking "questions", then "popular" here to see that 4 of the 5 highest questions are about this)
Atlassian have pulled it too - if you go to "download", you'll end up with 1.7 instead of 1.8 now.
After looking at the laundry list of core feature that no longer work in 1.8.x, I downgraded to 1.7 and order has been restored.
This release should be a cautionary tale for all software vendors anticipating a facelift that's combined with a major back-end refactoring. In general, doing this is a VERY BAD IDEA unless you have rock-solid integration and unit tests.
Clearly, Atlassian did not have sufficient test coverage.
Yeah well, I wanted to downgrade to 1.7.0, but after uninstalling 1.8.1 and reinstalling 1.7.0 ST crashes on every startup. Now I have no ST anymore on Win7.
Where can I find the 1.8.1 download so at least I can reinstall a half-broken 1.8.1 instead of a completely non-functional system?
I had some issues with a bad path reference to git.exe when I downgraded. I couldn't figure out what was happening until a colleague (with fresh eyes) figured out the problem. It seems like I had 2 instances of Git on my box, and SourceTree had a persisted pointer to an older version.
I nuked the older version of git.exe, and then managed to get ST 1.7.0 to point at the newer version of git.exe
Maybe you're experiencing something similar. (Maybe not...YMMV)
Alexander, did you uninstall 1.7 as well or try to run the Repair option in the installer? found that when I went to the control panel to uninstall 1.8, that 1.7 was still listed there. I had to uninstall that as well in order to get a clean install of 1.7. Now everything works again, at least as far as I can tell.
To see some issues, just start clicking on "Remote" branches in a repository, and note that half the time, the graph window doesn't scroll to the branch. You need to repeatedly click other nodes until eventually (after 3 or 4 click) the select node scrolls into view.
Then, when you click on another branch along the left, SourceTree crashes and burns.
Jeff, you describe what happed at my workstation. I solved it half an hour after I had asked the question, but then forgot to write an update here. I am sorry. And thank you for your response. I have successfully downgraded to 1.7.0 and everything works fine again.
Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.Learn more
Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs