Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching submodule to subtree...

Micah Koffron December 11, 2013

I'm switching from submodules to subtrees. To do this, I've created a topic branch and done the work in there. To get everything working properly, I had to delete the submodule folders entirely from disk. Once I have the subtrees set up in my branch, I can't checkout to move back and forth between my topic branch and the master branch because once I have the submodule re-established, they end up leaving their files as untracked files when trying to switch back to my subtree branch and I have to go and clean them up off of disk again. I'm wondering if this is a known issue and if there's any plans to do anything about it.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2013

Hi Micah,

In events like these it's worth raising a JAC ticket so us devs can look at it. I can't say I've experienced this problem though. Are you saying when you switch branch from where your submodules were, to a branch which no longer contains your submodules, that the files from your submodule (not subtree) get left over?

Cheers

Micah Koffron December 12, 2013

Thanks for the response Kieran. I'll need a quick pointer to opening a JAC ticket (didn't find anything promising on this page or in some web searches). Yes, I'm saying what you state. It seems like in GITs view, it starts with no untracked/modified files, so it is fine with the checkout to the new branch with subtrees in place of submodules, but once it switches its view to that with subtrees, then all the submodule-related stuff appears as untracked files that would get overwritten. So, considered strictly from the end-user's perspective, I see that my working tree is clean, so I expect to be able to switch from this to any arbitrary branch.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2013

Hey Micah,

It's jira.atlassian.comto log a JAC ticket. I'd be happy to help you out from the logged issue if that's OK?

Thanks in advance

Micah Koffron December 18, 2013

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events