Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still can't connect because of 'unable to get secret' error

angelonikolaou January 13, 2020

Hello,

I already discussed my problem in a comment in a similar post, but no reply came, so I start a new post.

I can't use Sourcetree to connect to Bitbucket for a month now, even though I used it for two years without a problem.

When I click 'Refresh OAuth Token' I get a 'Confirm Access' page on my browser, then an 'Authentication successful' page. Then, I get the following error in Sourcetree

2020-01-14 08_59_51-Edit Hosting Account.png

I have tried the following:

• Deleting all Sourcetree passwords from Windows Credential Manager
  • Revoking OAuth authentication from my BitBucket account
  • Reinstall Sourcetree
  • Different browser
  • Connecting with Basic authentication using a different account I have. Even though the password was correct, I still couldn't connect.
  • Closed live protection from my antivirus (Malwarebytes Antimalware)

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Added more fix attempts

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
nikolag January 14, 2020

I have the same problem.

STG January 24, 2020

Hello, I have th esame problem. Did you find the solution?.

Like angelonikolaou likes this
angelonikolaou January 28, 2020

Nothing yet. I basically switched to a different tool.

Steve Farmer September 6, 2021

Hi. I have this issue too. What too did you switch to?

Angelo Nikolaou September 6, 2021

I managed to make bitbucket work by switching back to version 3.3.9. Haven't updated since. Try that

2 votes
DeathPhoenix May 15, 2020

I had the same issue this morning. I now know what happened, so let's see if my case is helpful for you.

Here is what I had to do to solve this (following that order):

• Updated to the latest SourceTree version
  • Validate that your TLS 1.2 is activated. On Windows 7, you will have to edit the registry with regedit (you can find easy steps on internet)
  • You have to update your Embedded GIT as well. Go in Tools -> Options -> Git -> Press the button Update Embedded (at the bottom). You shouldn't see an SSL error here anymore.
  • Once this is done, I went to the Authentication dialog pointed out here and I could successfully "Refresh OAuth Token". 

Simple remark: I updated my SourceTree from a really old version (1.x to 3.3.8). In previous version, TLS 1.2 wasn't mandatory. Also, I'm running on Windows 7 and TLS 1.2 isn't enabled by default. It may not fully be your case, but those steps could cover your problem as well.

Now it's working!

Finally!

1 vote

I had the same issue this morning. I now know what happened, so let's see if my case is helpful for you.

Here is what I had to do to solve this (following that order):

• Updated to the latest SourceTree version
  • Validate that your TLS 1.2 is activated. On Windows 7, you will have to edit the registry with regedit (you can find easy steps on internet)
  • You have to update your Embedded GIT as well. Go in Tools -> Options -> Git -> Press the button Update Embedded (at the bottom). You shouldn't see an SSL error here anymore.
  • Once this is done, I went to the Authentication dialog pointed out here and I could successfully "Refresh OAuth Token". 

Simple remark: I updated my SourceTree from a really old version (1.x to 3.3.8). In previous version, TLS 1.2 wasn't mandatory. Also, I'm running on Windows 7 and TLS 1.2 isn't enabled by default. It may not fully be your case, but those steps could cover your problem as well.

Now it's working!

Finally!

Jeremy Dore May 20, 2020

Excellent info, thanks - worked for me.

fernanda.kelly July 8, 2021

Exelente !! Muito obrigada, funcionou para mim.

Emman Jay Dizon July 27, 2022

not work for me, any other solutions?

0 votes
Teisinger March 31, 2020

Same problem here

DELETED

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events