Sourcetree keeps asking for bitbucket password on windows

password I enter on Sourcetree is correct and works for a few minutes but then i get asked to reenter it. And yes I tell it to remember the password. this started happening after I updated to the most recent version and wow is it annoying. 

36 answers

Guys, Please try this as well. SourceTree is having the Embedded version of Git. By default, SourceTree will not use System installed Git, instead it will be using the embedded git. This credential-cache problem will not be there in latest Git version. I'd suggest to upgrade your embedded git version of sourcetree and configure sourcetree to use system git instead of embedded git.

How to do that? 

1. In SourceTree, Navigate to Tools > Options > Git

2. Look for the Git Version section

3. Observe what version of Git System has and What version of Git embedded in sourcetree

4. Switch to the system git version (if that is latest)

5. Once done, restart the sourcetree and try again the login, this time it will not ask you again

I was having the same problem having upgraded to SourceTree 2.7 from 2.6 on Mac OS High Sierra and this solution finally solved my issue (I didn't even have to log out of SourceTree)

This is the right answer for the problem. I am on Windows

Great.. perfect solution for my problem..

I have the same problem and I've always used the System Git, not Embedded Git.

I have even removed the BitBucket account completely from the accounts (Tools > Options > Authentication) and Windows' own credential manager (Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials)

git 2.18.0 (system), SourceTree 2.16.10

This seems to be something else entirely (my guess would be the "registration")

Like 2 people like this

This is not work for me (git 2.18.0 (system), SourceTree 2.16.10). I've also tried to remove credentials from source tree and windows account manager, but "bitbucket login" window still appears every several minutes (even after I entered right password or refresh auth token sucessfully (green sign)

Like 1 person likes this

I was having the same issue explained here, bitbucked / atlassian credentials were not been saved, so smartgit kept asking for email and password.

image.png

This started when upgraded to git 2.18.0 ... What I had to do was to reinstall git without "git credential manager" (I unchecked when asked during isnstallation).

image.png

Now smartgit launched atlassian user / password once when I pulled, I introduced it correctly and never asked me again.

thanks!

tried both embedded and system git (latest version) with sourcetree 2.6.10.0. Nothing working. This is ridiculous since it actually worked yesterday. Since then I've reset my password (just to be sure), logged out and back in again in the browser and that all works (so I know the password is right). I even did the OAuth authentication (again) and got it all green, still the atlassian dialog keeps coming up and won't let me log in (giving me an authentication error). Yet I can bring up the list of repos but just can't clone them or pull down the latest version. WTF.

Update: Got it fixed. While looking around at other questions I came across this one about https authentication (I tried SSH, app password, etc. as I struggled for the last couple of hours trying to get this to work).

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/How-to-update-HTTP-S-credentials-in-sourcetree/qaq-p/297564

If you're using HTTPS and are getting the atlassian dialog with no luck (even though you're SURE you're using the right password) this worked for me. Delete the passwd file in the AppData folder then pull the code down.

You'll get the atlassian password dialog again, but after entering the password correctly, you'll get the bucket dialog asking you to update your password. Enter it again and you should be set, at least that worked for me.

Frankly the combination of SSH or app passwords or HTTPs combined with bitbucket vs. atlassian is a mess. Maybe if you pick on approach and only use that it'll work all the time but I mix and match repos and authentication based on the sensitivity of the data, so maybe that's my problem. However I just find it not intuitive when things break. The error message from the OAuth that came up (or whatever it was) when the atlassian dialog came up said there was a problem with the username/password, except there wasn't.

Hope that helps. Back to coding...

Like 1 person likes this

But.... what if I have NO CODE to pulldown?

I have NO repositories and NO accounts remembered for bitbucket!

I am on windows with git 2.18.0 and Sourcetree 2.5.5.0.

The program has literally NO REASON to ask me for my Atlassian account, apart from it being made by them.

I have the problem as well. And not a single solution works. On my other computer it usually accepts the password after a few tries but on my laptop nothing works. And I have to work. I will probably change to another program since this problem persisted for a while now. 

Using SourceTree, Bil Simser solution worked for me when all the others didn't. I Found passd file on C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree

Like 2 people like this

Mine works after switching from Embedded to System Git. I would've never guessed this myself, so thanks to everyone!

Atlassian, you need to make this right!

This worked for me as well

I removed Git 2.17 that was installed, downloaded Git 2.19.2 and didn't install the GCM. Still no luck.

So I updated the embedded version and start using it. I deleted all my credentials from windows credential manager and re-authenticated again using OAuth. So far, so good. This is a mess. All of my coworkers had this same issue, and each one of them solved it in a different manner. 

Using SourceTree, Bil Simser solution worked for me when all the others didn't. I Found passd file on C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree

Like 1 person likes this

This solution worked for me. Thank you!

10 votes

Hey Guys, i found the solution..

uninstalled sourcetree.. 

problems went gone.

This worked for me (i'm on Windows).

Go to View > Show Hosted Repositories > Edit Accounts > find the relevant account and click 'Edit' > Change Password.

Hopefully it works for some other poor souls out there!

Thanks! It worked for this poor soul out there! laugh

Thanks, This worked for me as well.

I am having the same problem. I noticed it when I upgraded to Windows 10. I can't say for sure it's because of the upgrade to the OS.

For what it's worth, I can get it to stop temporarily by clicking the "Show hosted repositories" icon at the bottom left when you open source tree. Then "Edit Accounts", click the account and "Edit", then "Change Password".... It will eventually drop the password again. It's incredibly frustrating, and I am about to drop sourcetree and possibly Bitbucket due to this, if its not fixed.

Same problem here! It's infuriating.

Me too... :-(

I started having this problem too when I upgraded to SourceTree 2.1 and yes it's very annoying

(I'm on El Capitan 10.11.2)

try using OAuth with connect account

Every time SourceTree asks me if I would recommend to a friend, I think about how many times I have to log in over and over and over before I answer. How can a basic thing like remembering credentials be so broken?

I used to give a 10/10 reply every time. Now I just look at that survey and think the exactly same thing...

I can no longer get into my account... its broken

Sourcetree seems to have some problems importing old config files from a previous Version.
Changing stuff in "Edit Accounts ..." / Hosted Repositories seems to make Sourcetree rewrite some of it and solves the Problem.
Also try to change the preferred Protocol... that did the trick for me.

First time and ~a year ago I had this problem I started deleting Stuff in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree  

I cant remember exactly what I did back then, but I think deleting Accounts.json (and reentering the data in Sourcetree) worked.

I also resolved the problem by removing the map:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree  

same problem, windows 10. tried everything.., HELP!!!!

I use windows insider and have same problem still....ask login, ask login, ask login...!

Same problem here on Win 10, Sourcetree 2.4.8.0. I've treid all of the suggestions here and the password prompt still pops up all of the time. It's incredibly frustrating.

Same here, I have tried everything and updated to latest version, can't use sourcetree atm

@James Naylor - Please try my detailed suggestion given below. Update git version used by sourcetree 

wow, almost 3 years later And I have been having this problem on and off... Atlassian. I have been patient. Get it together and fix this nonsense. You are supposed to help with software development not make it frustrating.

SourceTree is no longer functional as it periodically fills my screen with login windows. Atlassian - please provide an expected date for a fix or describe a workaround that works. Thanks.

I have the same problem connecting to Visual Studio Online.

I removed my user name in authentication tab and then pulled, got prompted for the password and I clicked the box that says save the password on the prompt and then it worked..

my enviroment v2.6.6.0 (windows 7 32bit)

Atlassian login popup dialog always on desktop!

i updated git version.

now ... dialog popup going ...

1 vote

This is what I discovered (after searching for 'sourcetree' in my drive C:):

1. Uninstall SourceTree
  2. Delete folder C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree
  3. Delete folder C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\SourceTree
  4. Reinstall SourceTree

This helped me! Thank you.
I've tried lot's of things but removing "/AppData/*" is the only useful action.

Having the same issue, anyone find a solution?

After tthe Sourcetree last upgrade in MAY I can't log in Sourcetree anymore -  I'm on Windows 8.

I've done everything, but I coldn't find an answer. 

I've tried Go to View > Show Hosted Repositories > Edit Accounts > find the relevant account and click 'Edit' > Change Password.

The system aproves my Atlassian PWD but gives an error message after. "Please enter your Bitbucket/GitHub username" . 

But from June "Atlassian account is coming to Bitbucket!" - eveyone has received this mail, so it's supposed to be only one account for all the Atlassian app.

How can this bug be solved, anyone found a solution?

I'm in a conversation with a support rep about this, and it sounds like it's caused by not having an explicit username in the url for your repository. Unfortunately, for private subrepositories, that's just not an option.

This did not fix the problem for me. I click "show hosted repos" and nothing ever loads in the window. I added my Bitbucket account info, again, for the 15th time, and Sourcetree is still asking me to authenticate. Pathetic. For now, I'll revert to version 1.8

The fix for me was to install git on the computer and use that instead of the embedded version. After a git pull in cmd and entering the credentials there, I can now work in SourceTree without it asking for password all the time.

Asking password again and again since i changed my credentials from Atlassian site. I reverted my credentials back to old ones and pull and push work fine without asking password but sourcetree still asks password for nothing (2 times if i cancel).

The same problem when updating to 2.3.1.

It helped to me to delete bitbucket account in Tools -> Options -> Authentication and then to edit %AppData%\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\passwd (in Notepad++) and to delete any unused/wrong username password pairs. 

After deleting one for bitbucket it stopped asking for password.

Thanks, that worked for me 👍

worked for me too

on macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 I changed the authentication mode from SSH to OAuth to Basic / HTTPS and it worked.

This saved my day.

had the same. it wasn't really source tree issue, but i fixed it by removing httpusepath = true line

> git config --global --edit

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

850 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you