Sourcetree keeps asking for bitbucket password on windows

password I enter on Sourcetree is correct and works for a few minutes but then i get asked to reenter it. And yes I tell it to remember the password. this started happening after I updated to the most recent version and wow is it annoying. 

16 answers

This worked for me (i'm on Windows).

Go to View > Show Hosted Repositories > Edit Accounts > find the relevant account and click 'Edit' > Change Password.

Hopefully it works for some other poor souls out there!

Thanks! It worked for this poor soul out there! laugh

Thanks, This worked for me as well.

I am having the same problem. I noticed it when I upgraded to Windows 10. I can't say for sure it's because of the upgrade to the OS.

For what it's worth, I can get it to stop temporarily by clicking the "Show hosted repositories" icon at the bottom left when you open source tree. Then "Edit Accounts", click the account and "Edit", then "Change Password".... It will eventually drop the password again. It's incredibly frustrating, and I am about to drop sourcetree and possibly Bitbucket due to this, if its not fixed.

Same problem here! It's infuriating.

Me too... :-(

I started having this problem too when I upgraded to SourceTree 2.1 and yes it's very annoying

(I'm on El Capitan 10.11.2)

try using OAuth with connect account

Sourcetree seems to have some problems importing old config files from a previous Version.
Changing stuff in "Edit Accounts ..." / Hosted Repositories seems to make Sourcetree rewrite some of it and solves the Problem.
Also try to change the preferred Protocol... that did the trick for me.

First time and ~a year ago I had this problem I started deleting Stuff in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree  

I cant remember exactly what I did back then, but I think deleting Accounts.json (and reentering the data in Sourcetree) worked.

bas I'm New Here Sep 15, 2017

I also resolved the problem by removing the map:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree  

I have the same problem connecting to Visual Studio Online.

I removed my user name in authentication tab and then pulled, got prompted for the password and I clicked the box that says save the password on the prompt and then it worked..

same problem, windows 10. tried everything.., HELP!!!!

Having the same issue, anyone find a solution?

After tthe Sourcetree last upgrade in MAY I can't log in Sourcetree anymore -  I'm on Windows 8.

I've done everything, but I coldn't find an answer. 

I've tried Go to View > Show Hosted Repositories > Edit Accounts > find the relevant account and click 'Edit' > Change Password.

The system aproves my Atlassian PWD but gives an error message after. "Please enter your Bitbucket/GitHub username" . 

But from June "Atlassian account is coming to Bitbucket!" - eveyone has received this mail, so it's supposed to be only one account for all the Atlassian app.

How can this bug be solved, anyone found a solution?

I'm in a conversation with a support rep about this, and it sounds like it's caused by not having an explicit username in the url for your repository. Unfortunately, for private subrepositories, that's just not an option.

This did not fix the problem for me. I click "show hosted repos" and nothing ever loads in the window. I added my Bitbucket account info, again, for the 15th time, and Sourcetree is still asking me to authenticate. Pathetic. For now, I'll revert to version 1.8

The fix for me was to install git on the computer and use that instead of the embedded version. After a git pull in cmd and entering the credentials there, I can now work in SourceTree without it asking for password all the time.

Asking password again and again since i changed my credentials from Atlassian site. I reverted my credentials back to old ones and pull and push work fine without asking password but sourcetree still asks password for nothing (2 times if i cancel).

I use windows insider and have same problem still....ask login, ask login, ask login...!

The same problem when updating to 2.3.1.

It helped to me to delete bitbucket account in Tools -> Options -> Authentication and then to edit %AppData%\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\passwd (in Notepad++) and to delete any unused/wrong username password pairs. 

After deleting one for bitbucket it stopped asking for password.

on macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 I changed the authentication mode from SSH to OAuth to Basic / HTTPS and it worked.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

238 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot