Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree has invalid credentials but cannot clear / reset them. where are they stored?

aaroncowieinvestec March 19, 2018

I have cleared all of the cached windows credentials.

I have cleared the source tree credentials.

It continually sends invalid credentials top stash and locks my account.  I cant work.

version: latest ... 2.4.8.0

4 answers

1 accepted

17 votes
Answer accepted
aaroncowieinvestec March 19, 2018

POSSIBLY SOLVED:: OK. If anyone else this problem, then try going to Tools --> Options --> Git (Tab).  At the bottom of the page, see the button "Update Embedded Git".  Click this and it will do an update of the embedded Git version.  You will see the version number change.

I then closed Source Tree and restarted it.  The next update (Pushed a new tag), I did, it asked me for my credentials.  All has been good since.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2018

Hi Aaron! Once you confirm this solved your issue, please feel free to mark your solution as accepted so other users can find it more easily!

Have good day :)

Ana

aaroncowieinvestec March 20, 2018

I do think that ATLASSIAN could do some minimum version compatibility checks on this and let the user know that it is incompatible and needs to be updated.  Source Tree was telling me that I had the latest version, but this is misleading, as I only had the latest version of Source Tree but it was using an old incompatible version of embedded GIT.

Please fix this ATLASSIAN.

Deleted user October 10, 2018

Capture.PNGI add bitbucket and github accounts. Set Keys and password, set ssh to my bitbucket, I configure a lot of things, even so, SourceTree ask me for credentials, and i enter the bitbucket credentials to push to the github repository. 1 hour trying to solve this crap.

Back to GitBash

Erfan Gholampour November 7, 2019

This solved the issue! Thank you!

Like olopezf likes this
David S June 9, 2020

How does this work when you don't use embedded?

Seems like a bug in SourceTree, as I'm having this problem with version 3.3.8.

David S June 10, 2020

Found an answer that maybe helpful.

The only thing that worked for me was navigating to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree and removing the passwd file.

Once this file is removed, restart SourceTree and execute a fetch or something else that requires access to the repo in question. SourceTree will then prompt you for your password, rewriting the cached credentials.

Ref: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/How-to-update-HTTP-S-credentials-in-sourcetree/qaq-p/297564

Like # people like this
riordanmr July 23, 2020

Deleting the passwd file in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree solved this for me.  Thanks, @David S

Like # people like this
fizzd October 9, 2020

@David S Deleting the password file worked, thank you for finally saving me. How on earth would I have figured that its stored there and not anywhere in Preferences in the app itself, if not for stumbling across this comment, i dont know. it is maddening

Like # people like this
Balazs Agasvari February 10, 2021

David S thank you!
I was struggling for a week, trying to make SourceTree somehow ask for my credentials...
I was generating new key pairs, asking my ISP to investigate server log, but this simple step did the trick.
Saved my life :))))))

Like David S likes this
Joseph Salu April 28, 2021

@David S Everyone should like and thank David.

I saw a lot of time wasting answers on this issue. I wish I have a power to wipe those answers of the internet and leave David's answer. Because of David, I signed up to Atlassian for the first time to say thank you. 

Like # people like this
Gary Blake September 18, 2021

@Joseph Salu You're an awful person.

Chris Lanning October 4, 2021

Thank you David S, that solved my problem. 

Hey Atlassian, I shouldn't have to delete some hidden file to update my password!!!!

Adam Dubuc December 16, 2021

@David S Deleting the password file worked, thank you very much for your answer I was debating reinstalling sourcetree but this worked like a charm!!!

Sumudu Lakshan January 3, 2022

Thanks mate. Solved my problem

Muhammad Imran September 28, 2022

@[deleted] It resolve my problem as well. Thumbs up!

2 votes
Paul Beattie May 10, 2018

On a Mac pressing the Preferences -> Git -> Reset to Embedded Git, might have helped, but I also searched for SourceTree in the KeyChain app and deleted the saved password entry. Remember to also close and reopen SourceTree.

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 15.51.54.png

Paul Beattie May 11, 2018

I have been locked out of my account again.

I checked the KeyChain and it has the wrong password in it, this morning it was just a single character, unrelated to my password. So it looks to me like SourceTree is sending the incorrect password to the KeyChain. Which is then used to log into my remote server and after a few attempts I get locked out.

Marcus Svensson March 18, 2019

I had changed my password and sourcetree kept using the wrong password and didn't let me enter a new one. Resetting to embedded git or using system git changed nothing, what worked was to delete the password from the mac keychain. Thanks.

Like sivachaitanya koorapati likes this
quando04 October 6, 2019

"...pressing the Preferences -> Git -> Reset to Embedded Git"

I got it working just by doing the above. Thanks!

Neil Duffin February 7, 2022

Tried both ways, using embedded works perfectly (git version 2.31.0), using system git (BigSur 11.6, git version 2.32.0) fails completely every single time, no matter what I do. I'm using App Passwords over HTTPS with Basic login - as per Atlassian login changes in 2022.

Many thanks for the help.

1 vote
Mukherjee, Apratim February 1, 2022

I am using sourcetree with a bitbucket server to access git repository.

I was facing the authentication issue on sourcetree after I changed my password:

Deleting password file in the directory: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree, did not work me this time. (It did work earlier)

So what I had to do is:

1. Uninstall Source Tree
  2. Delete all the files & directories related to Source Tree in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Atlassian\
  3. Install Source Tree
  4. Add your local/remote repository. 
  5. When you try to clone/pull, Source tree prompts you to put your password.
  6. There after you can enter your password and the issue seems to be fixed.
David S February 4, 2022

When setting the password.

It maybe best to create a Personal Access Token.

That way when your password changes, you don't need to go through these steps.

Shane Thomas January 3, 2023

Thanks this answer worked for me finally.

What a waste of time that was. 

domenicomonaco April 17, 2023

Solved also for me on windows 11
thanks

0 votes
John Smith November 16, 2023

WTF is is sh*t? do I choose wincred or wincred?......neither works lol

Screenshot 2023-11-16 114637.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events