Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree cannot install in Mac osx because Apple cannot validate application.

John Novosel March 1, 2023

I've just downloaded Atlassian's Sourcetree version 4.2.1 (248) by following links from the Atlassian website.

The webpage instructions say to download a DMG, but, for some reason, the download gave me a ZIP.  I un-zipped and obtained ONE file ... Sourcetree.app

However when I double click this file, my Brand-New macbook osx 13.2.1 refuses to execute ... because "Apple cannot check it for malicious software." I expect this is because Sourcetree does NOT have the magic verification signing codes needed for execution validation.

Before we terminate our corporate account license .. I DEMAND that Atlassian tell me WHICH OTHER SOFTWARE they would prefer that our team use, in place of Atlassian's NON-COMPLIANT Sourcetree app???

1 answer

0 votes
Arati Mohanty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2023

@John Novosel Thank you for reaching out to us. 

To understand the issue better, Could you kindly share the screenshot of exact error message you are getting while installation of SourceTree?

Also, we would like to inform that SourceTree has been Code-Signed for proper validation and due to which we expect message "Sourcetree is an app downloaded from the internet.Are you sure you want to open it?" while opening the app.

Also could you please verify your "System settings" if you are allowing to download the applications from identified developer. For more info please visit here.

In the mean time, Can we request you to raise a ticket with the queries in our bug tracking tool

John Novosel March 2, 2023

First, system settings shows I have permissions to install SourceTree.Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 10.16.17 AM.png

Then, when I try to install the "Sourcetree.app", which was the only file included in the downloaded-Zip:

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 10.22.53 AM.png

And, then I see the "blocked" error in Privacy-and-Secrity:

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 10.24.24 AM.png

BUT, when I click "Open Anyway", it again shows the malicious software error:Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 10.26.02 AM.png

I am certain I have rights to install, as I have been busy all day yesterday installing so many things: Firefox, Chrome, VS-Code, Python-3, Docker, ... etc.

John Novosel March 2, 2023

I suggest you examine 2022-Dec-06 version of SourceTree and validate it contains all the necessary Apple security signatures, etc.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events