SourceTree user specific - cannot install on multiple machines at school

DouglasUnusual June 24, 2017

I am going to be teaching a new course at college. I would like to teach the students source control and SourceTree would be great. I asked the IT guys to set it up as the sutdents cannot install anything on the machines but i got this reply:

"We cannot install SourceTree for you as it is user and machine specific software rather than just machine specific, and therefore if we install it on a machine it will only be usable by the person installing it, and then only until their profile is cleared from the machine."

I have no idea about how this stuff works but i feel there must be a work around. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2017

Hi Douglas! SourceTree has to be individually installed in every machine and need to be registered with an Atlassian account, however, this account won't determine which person can use it. After the installation is complete, the students will just need to connect their accounts so they can get access to their repositories as explained at Get started with SourceTree

Let us know if you have any questions :)

Ana

DouglasUnusual June 27, 2017

Thanks for your answer. The help desk have got back to me and explained that the issue is if they install it and then logg off, the next person can log in but it will not be installed for them.

Again i have only worked on my personal computer and do not know anything about programs installing to specific logins etc but it seems this would be a major limitation for using this in schools as we cannot allow the students to install it themselves on their accounts.

Do you have any ideas on that?

Thanks again

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2017

Hi Douglas, I understand what  you mean. I'm assuming then that the help desk team would be installing SourceTree in a different user. Would they be able to install SourceTree into the student's account? 

If the students can not do that by themselves, then you might be interested in this Feature request SRCTREEWIN-6570. However, in the meantime, there's nothing else I can think of apart from allowing the students to install it themselves.

Regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events