Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree repeatedly crashes after uninstall, clean and reinstall

Nigel Rheam June 23, 2020

I had some problems with authorisation on a fairly new install of SourceTree, and decided to do an uninstall, cleanup, and reinstall to try to get back on track.

I followed instructions elsewhere to uninstall, remove Atlassian and Sourcetree folders in my C:\Users\<myuser>\Appdata\Local folder, and reboot and reinstallation.  In addition, I removed all bitbucket related credentials in Windows Credential Manager.

Any attempt to start Sourcetree shows the app for a second or two and then disappears.  Windows Event Log shows two errors a little similar to this ticket: https://confluence.atlassian.com/sourcetreekb/sourcetree-crashes-on-startup-831655339.html   I tried solutions proposed there (though the user config file was not corrupted) and this did not work.

Having scanned the AppData\Local folder, I found this log entry in the SourceTree.log file:

ERROR [2020-06-23 07:51:21,458] [20] [SourceTree.Exceptions.RemoteHostException] [Log] - Insufficient authentication credentials
ERROR [2020-06-23 07:51:21,478] [1] [SourceTree.Exceptions.RemoteHostException] [Log] - Failed to list teams for user [XXXXXXXX_nij]

'XXXXXXXX_nij' is one of my bitcucket user names... BUT how does this installation know to search for that after all configuration folders have been cleaned up?

3 answers

1 vote
yshmidt August 18, 2020

I am having the same issue with 3.3.9 Release for windows. Does anyone have a solution for this? Update: I tried suggestions by Daniela Ortiz Monasterio above, without avail. 

0 votes
Daniela Ortiz Monasterio August 18, 2020

Hello Nigel,

I had the exact same problem with those errors shown on the log file (with Sourcetree v3.8.9). My workaround was:

1. Full uninstall of Sourcetree (How do I fully remove SourceTree so that I can do a "fresh" install? ).
  2. Remove related credentials from Windows Credential Manager.
  3. Download previous Sourcetree version (v3.8.8) from: Sourcetree Download Archives .
  4. Install Sourcetree v3.8.8.

Hopefully, this will work for you too.

nij4t2 August 18, 2020

Hi Daniela,

Those are basically the same steps that I followed; though I could not say if the version number I was trying to reinstall was v3.8.8!

Unfortunately I simply could not get the app running again on this particular computer; so I went to an alternative product called GitKraken (which I have now paid for the pro version).

There is a lesson for Atlassian here; I was happy to pay for a product that works well and has a reasonable amount of support -- I got NO support from Atlassian here in nearly two months and that is simply unworkable for me... this was not the first time that a reinstall or upgrade of Sourcetree left we scrabbling to fix some weird authentication or other issue; though on the whole I would have said in other respects Sourcetree was a very capable product.

I'm glad you got up and running!

Nij

0 votes
Martin Hartmann July 22, 2020

I got same issue

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events