Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree commit button takes forever to load

Deleted user October 5, 2016

I've been using SourceTree for over a year now and we got along very well together so far.

Starting last week, every time I press the "commit" button, the app freezes for something like 10 minutes before showing me the commit screen (which proceeds to work find).

I tried to do some research and found out that I'm not the first one to have a problem with this button, but as opposed to other users' inquiries, my application just froze and not completely crashed when pressing the commit button.

If I attempt to open a repository in which the last active window was the commit window, it also behaves the same (freezes).

Note that SourceTree doesn't consume any extra amount of CPU or memory when it freezes.

The same thing happens in both my home and my office machines (both very strong).

I'm 99% certain that it's not a git problem (tried using the latest version, problem persists), I don't have any untracked files and my repositories are quite small (though I have lots of them).

I'm using SourceTree 1.6.12 on Windows 10. I tried to upgrade to the latest SourceTree version but that didn't fix the problem, so I downgraded back to 1.6.12 (which is much more stable IMO).

Help would be very appreciated

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user July 17, 2017

I think I've found the solution.

Try to install the latest version of SourceTree. It should tell you something about erroneous temporary files and ask if you wish to delete them.

Delete them, exit the installer (you don't have to upgrade. The newer versions are worse anyway...) and that's it! SourceTree is (relatively) fast again and doesn't crash.

I would've attached a screenshot but I can't reproduce it now after it's been fixed.

Hope it helps

0 votes
brittonbeckham November 1, 2016

What is going on here? This is still a major problem! Is someone going to get going on this?

0 votes
brittonbeckham October 12, 2016

I am also having this issue. Weird thing is I rolled back to 1.7 and still having the issue. I think this is related to a windows update, but it happened on both my PCs at or around the same time, and the only thing related is Windows Updates.

This is a HUUUUUUUUGE problem and a major waste of time. I have used this product for a long time, but this is just ridiculous.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events