Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree Painfully Slow

Tim Ahrens August 9, 2018

Running Sourcetree 2.7.6 on a MacBook Pro (2015) 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB Ram running v10.13.6 High Sierra

And, Just about anything I do takes way too long, I want to recommend SourceTree to coworkers because SO many things I do every day, Commits (with Diff, and auto selecting all modified files), Reset to Commit (Hard and Mixed), Switching Branches, Stashing Work, Pull Rebase, cherry-pick, etc., are SO simple to do - but they TAKE FOREVER.

1 answer

0 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2018

Hi Tim,

Our apologies for the pain. We've got a beta starting right now that addresses known performance issues and offers a better experience all around IMHO.

Brian Ganninger
Senior Mac Developer, Sourcetree

Tim Ahrens August 10, 2018

is it stable enough to try it out?

Tim Filler December 6, 2018

Same here - is there anything coming / to be expected soon?

Tim Ahrens December 7, 2018

Brian - hate to say it, but I was using the beta, it was OK, but whenever there are lots of files or lots of changes in a big file, it crawls and or locks up.  When you released 3.0, I thought 'maybe it has a bunch of performance improvements', so I switched back to 3.0 - same problem.  I am currently using the beta again, and keep hoping but it is still PAINFULLY slow, so often.  I have switched over to using Fork a lot, but from a UI perspective SourceTree is superior, but 1 of 2 things is going to happen, and I'm not sure which will be first.

1. I will figure out how to use Fork to do everything I do in SourceTree and I will switch to Fork permanently

2. You guys will actually fix the performance bugs and I can stay with SourceTree

Jer Clarke January 23, 2019

Thanks for the Fork recommendation. Looks like a good replacement for ST with a similar UI. 

I'm looking to switch because I'm plagued by spinning-beachball system hangs when I click on diffs in the history. Totally makes the app useless and makes me horribly unproductive. 

Hopefully it gets fixed and I come back, maybe Fork will solve my problems. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events