Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree 2.0 is horribly slow on startup Windows 10

sjamesmccarthy May 26, 2017

Win10 build, 32GB RAM, i7, 7 repos and it takes 12 seconds to load. Does this seem horribly slow to anyone else? I have poked around the options and disabled many in hopes of improvement but have no luck. 

Any suggestions would be helpful.

1 answer

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2017

Hi,

That does sound excessively long. SourceTree replaces calls to git.exe with calls into libgit2. In the vast majority of cases libgit2 is faster than git.exe on windows. However it is possible that certain 'shapes' of repository, size, number of commits, branches, stashes etc, may effect this rule of thumb.

You can try by backing up and removing your %localappdata%\Atlassian\Bookmarks.xml and OpenTabs.xml files. This will remove your bookmarks at which point we would, obviously, expect SourceTree to start quickly you could then re-add your 7 bookmarks one at a time. This should help identify if there is a particual repository/bookmark that causes the slowness.

The SourceTree team would be very interested to understand and ivestigate this issue if you were able to identify the source.

sjamesmccarthy May 27, 2017

Hi Michael,

I spent some time trying your suggestions as well as talking about the slowness with another sourcetree user (mac though). We came to the conclusion that my repos may be large and are simply the reason. My repos were just about 1GB in size total. If sourcetree scans these for updates each time the app opens, as it appears it does, it going to cost me in load-time. I pruned a few of my repos and was able to cut the load time in half.  On my desktop I can load everything in 3 seconds now and on my tablet 5 but one is an i7, the other an Intel m. 

I understand loading status updates is important, but perhaps only updating the statues of the repos of the default "folder" could be a way to speed things up. Or, a preference option to disable it or check it onLoad. 

The rest of the app is quick. It's just that initial load time which unfortunately gives the app an over all bad first impression. 

Oh, also, I noticed on the windows build that if one tab is open you can't click the red x to close it but can press ctrl-w. As a user, I am expecting to do both. Just something I noticed.

Okay, now to get the SSH stuff working.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events