Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source Tree installation fails with Error code -36 on a mac

Jonathan Horsman July 16, 2013

I'm trying to install source tree on a macbook pro running 10.6.3. When trying to install source tree I get the following error message "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "SourceTree.app" can't be read or written. (Error code -36)." I should mention that I tried to download an older version of Source Tree a few months ago and got the same error and gave up on it. I've also tried using the same installation file that a coworker used (successfully) and that didn't work either. Any tips?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

Hi Jonathan,

Error code 36 is an I/O problem (this is an OS-level concept) which usually means there's something wrong with your hard disk. Have you got some external disks you're using for repositories or trying to load SourceTree from an external drive?

There's a thread regarding this error code here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2145463?start=0&tstart=0. It's all related to communication with some external disk usually, but otherwise it could be there's something wrong with your hard disk rather than an external one.

If you search for that error you'll get many related results, a lot of them suggesting you need to re-format your hard disk unfortunately.

Cheers

Jonathan Horsman July 16, 2013

Thanks for the response Kieran. You are correct, it turns out I did have a couple errors on my hard disk. I repaired the disk and the os is now telling me the disk is ok. I tried downloading the install file again and even after repairing the disk I am getting the same error (-36).

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2013

It may suggest your disk is having more problems regardless of a disk repair. If you look through various threads others had also stated they continued to get errors after a disk repair. Are you doing anything over a network, i.e. external drives?

0 votes
Julia Poole April 6, 2018

Reboot your Mac to Recovery Mode.
Open Disk Utility, select your drive, and erase it using the options in the Erase tab.
Quit Disk Utility.
Use the backup recovery utility to restore your recent backup.
for more info visit this URL
https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/mac-error-code-36/

0 votes
Jonathan Horsman July 22, 2013

After looking into it further it does seem like I was having more disk problems. After swapping out the HD in my machine I was able to successfully install source tree.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

Glad you got it working, Jonathan :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events