Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save correct Bitbucket password in Mac Keychain

Daniel Klein August 29, 2018

I keep getting the following message using Sourcetree with Bitbucket:

remote: Too many invalid password attempts. Log in at https://id.atlassian.com/ to restore access.

If I delete the entry in my MacBook's Keychain and manually type the password when prompted it works, but if always fails as soon as it tries to use the password from Keychain.

How can I fix this?

1 answer

0 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2018

Hi Daniel,

Sourcetree isn't directly writing credentials (password, token, etc.) to Keychain in that entry for a number of reasons. We've tried to identify the sources of mismatch which cause it to get out of sync and spuriously prompt for 3.0.

Your best bet is to close any open windows, quit Sourcetree, delete the appropriate Keychain entries, and then relaunch. Then edit your account to set the password. Alternatively you can delete and re-add the account without relaunching and it should work fine. 

Hope that helps,

Brian Ganninger
Senior Mac Developer, Sourcetree

Daniel Klein September 2, 2018

When I go into Sourcetree -> Preferences -> Accounts -> Edit... I see the number of dots for my MacBook password, not for my Bitbucket password. They have different lengths, so it's easy to check. I can set the password manually there, but when I try to use it, it asks for my MacBook account password for the keychain, and sets that as my Bitbucket password. It won't let me continue until I've supplied my keychain password, i.e. the Bitbucket password is rejected.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events