How to disable spelling "correction" in SourceTree commit messages

I turned off "Correct Spelling Automatically" in System Preferences, and still SourceTree changes what I write in my git commit messages, often so that they no longer make sense. Is there a way to disable this?

4 answers

1 accepted

In Lion this is no longer a system-wide option. Right-click on the commit text area, select Spelling and Grammar, and alter the Check / Correct options as appropriate. SourceTree 1.4 onwards remembers these settings and they're remembered independently of any other application.

Fantastic. Is the idea each application will remember its own preference for this?

Argh Apple autocomplete annoys me in SourceTree. Just the moment I hit commit it autocompletes "json" to "son". 

Please add this to preferences.

completely agree, so annoying

+1 it's driving me crasy

This is very annoying. especially since it wasn't clearly reachable in the preferences. It has made us have more incorrect comments than we used to have without this feature! it is easy to know when someone has a typo but changing 'wps' to 'was', or 'gameclock' to 'game cock' actually causes more confusion for most people. 

Agreed. Preferences is the first place I checked for this, then I had to do a google search to find this answer.

And it would be nice to just have a SourceTree only option to turn this off.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

274 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot