Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom diff tool: finding the $REMOTE$ file

TamarGranor December 7, 2020

I posted last week about my issues trying to call Beyond Compare as a diff tool with Visual FoxPro's binary files. (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/Problem-using-Beyond-Compare-for-diffs-on-paired-files/qaq-p/1547539)

Elsewhere, someone suggested I could write a custom EXE to use as the Diff tool and make it an intermediary that would grab the parameters coming from Sourcetree and do what's necessary to pass Beyond Compare the right parameters to make this work.

I've been working on this, but just realized I have a major issue. When comparing an uncommitted file to the most recent commit, the $LOCAL$ parameter passes a fully-pathed filename in the Temp folder (which appears to be the committed file); perfect for my needs. The $REMOTE$ parameter, however, gives me a relative path in my development folders (for example, CLASSLIBS\MyClassLib.VCX).

Is there a way for my tool to know the full path for that file? Obviously, if I want to use this with only one repository, I can hard-code it, but I'm trying to write a tool I can use across all my projects.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
TamarGranor December 22, 2020

I've found a solution using a built-in Visual FoxPro function with a worst case of prompting to find the file.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events