Problem using Beyond Compare for diffs on paired files

TamarGranor December 2, 2020

I'm trying Sourcetree with some Git repositories for Visual FoxPro (VFP) applications. I've set up Beyond Compare as the diff tool.

VFP uses DBFs (tables) with special extensions to store certain kinds of source code, and the resulting files are paired. For example, a form is stored as an SCX/SCT pair.

I have a Beyond Compare extension installed that allows the tool to work with these paired files. When I was previously using Mercurial with Hg Workbench, if I selected both files of the pair, I was able to diff via Beyond Compare.

I'm looking for a way to tell Sourcetree to do the same thing. That is, if I select two files that Beyond Compare recognizes as paired, it should use the extension to open the pair and do the diff. Is that possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
TamarGranor December 22, 2020

I've now built a custom Diff tool that grabs the filenames from SourceTree and does what's needed to pass the right info to Beyond Compare for these paired files. Happy to share if anyone wants to try it out and give me feedback.

David Kirchner January 18, 2021

I would like to see your fix.

TamarGranor January 18, 2021

It's a VFP EXE. Send me an email address and I'll give you a link to download and some instructions. You can send to me at tamar at tomorrowssolutionsllc.com.

edp August 30, 2021

Hi Tamar,

I installed Beyond Compare on a new computer and couldn't figure out why VFP comparison was not working the same as my old pc. Then I remembered that someone in my office found an add-on called VFP2Text a few years ago. I am curious if your solution is similar.

BTW, my curiosity stems from the fact that you are an esteemed VFP guru and your solution may have more meat to it! :) In any case, it is an opportunity to thank you for all your years of contributing to the Fox community.

Regards,

Ed

TamarGranor August 30, 2021

My solution builds on VFP2Text.

rfanslow June 23, 2022

Tamar

I recently began working with a firm that  needs to  enforce source control. I would like to  see your  solution on this if you are still sharing

TamarGranor June 23, 2022

Happy to share. Send me an email address and I'll share the relevant Dropbox folder with you. You can send to me at tamar at tomorrowssolutionsllc.com.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events