Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checkout / Lock a file

Andreas March 22, 2020

Hi!

I have the same question like written here ... but unfortunatelly the answer does not help me.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Check-out-and-lock-file-to-edit/qaq-p/507767

My problem is: The files we are working an cannot be merged! They are pure binary files (LabVIEW source code). The idea behind GIT as distributed version control system is nice but I'm really missing the possiblity to show a user that he shall not work on a specific file because somebody else is currently working on it. If he does not care about about this hint: ok, that's another story but he shall at least get informed in some way that he should not work on a particular file.

Unfortunatelly I'm also very new on GIT / Sourctree - so I hope to get a hint if this kind of feature is available somewhere or not.

Thanks ind advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2020

Hey Andreas, welcome to the Community!

Git natively doesn't support lock files. The general idea is to use branches and then merge files when needed. As you found already though, this can be problematic with binary files.

Git LFS is an extension of Git designed for large files (and binaries count!). Git LFS does have a provision for locking files. Depending on where you're hosting your git repo, you can make use of the locking functionality in Git LFS.

For example, it's fully supported in Bitbucket Server, and we have instructions on setting things up and using locking here.

In Bitbucket Cloud however (bitbucket.org), we support Git LFS but currently not the locking functionality. There's an open feature request to add locking capabilities in Bitbucket Cloud if you're using it to host and interested in seeing the lock functionality added.

I hope that helps you!

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events