Check-out and lock file to edit

Antony Bineesh Thomas May 8, 2016

Hi All,

I am very new to source tree - i have already installed sourcestree and cloned the repository. Can anyone help me if source tree has an option to Check-out file by leaving it locked as it is in MS TFS?

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2016

SourceTree, as a graphical front-end for git, is a distributed version control system, so the files that you are editing are local files stored only on your own workstation.  There is no need or capability to lock them.  If another developer is making changes to the same file, they will need to be merged, either (ideally) through a merge operation if you are working on distinct branches or when one of you does a pull to update your local repo.

"Checkout" in git has a very different meaning than it does in centralized version control systems.  In git, "checkout" means to select a commit or branch and set your working directory to that version.

Antony Bineesh Thomas May 9, 2016

Hi Tim Crall,

This is helpful, thank you

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events