[dev team] Sourcetree for Windows 2019 Preview - Dark Theme

bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2019

Hi folks,

While the full post is over on our blog I'd like to share the dark theme we've got planned for 2019 here directly as well to keep the discussion going. 

The development team truly values all your constructive feedback as you can hopefully tell in the demo below. We’re working on better transparency with our work and changes to improve communication are already underway. Please continue to share your thoughts so we deliver the best feature it can be!

Cheers,

Brian Ganninger
Principal Developer, Sourcetree

Dark theme

Our top request for Sourcetree for Windows is a “non retina burning” dark theme to better blend in with other developer tools. This became more acute when we debuted a dark theme in Sourcetree 2.6 for Mac over a year ago to much acclaim.

As you can see in the following demo, every part of the Sourcetree for Windows UI is now rendered in cooler colors and the icons are appropriately swapped with either inverse colors or a cooler palette overall. Currently we’re iterating on the final colors, adding in appropriate settings, and overall polish.

dark_theme2.gif

Coming soon

These aren’t just shiny demos though. While we don’t have a specific ETA to share right now for either of the features it’s safe to say you’ll see them released during the first half of 2019.

10 comments

Andres Cartin January 17, 2019

Thanks, looking good! I also love the new repository browser sidemenu; thanks for the hard work and communication upgrade!

Like # people like this
MaxAlekseyev January 17, 2019

Yes, looking fine, waiting, thanks.

Like bgannin likes this
guneyozsan January 18, 2019

Thank you Brian. This is awesome news. The preview is pretty cool. I just joined the beta group. We look forward to see it in action.

Like bgannin likes this
Benjamin Fernandez February 27, 2019

I am one of those 647 votes asking for this becomes a reality.

I am very happy for these news and this preview.

Thank you!

Like bgannin likes this
lucarma79 March 21, 2019

Me too, I really appreciate it

Dean Martin February 27, 2019

ETA?  Can't wait. Should we expect this for Independence Day, Halloween, or next Christmas?  Any insight would be helpful, even just which fiscal quarter would be nice to know. 

Benjamin Fernandez February 27, 2019

Maybe for April 1

Like # people like this
Dean Martin February 27, 2019

SWEET!

Like Benjamin Fernandez likes this
MaxAlekseyev February 27, 2019

April 1? Fool's Day? Please deploy it the next day :)

bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2019

"first half of 2019" as noted in the original post is the most I can do for an ETA at the moment. 

Like lucarma79 likes this
Brian Hall May 20, 2019

"first half of 2019" -- getting close to the middle of the year.

Any updates on when this might get released?

Like lhocker_fascor likes this
AlissonSiri March 28, 2019

Does version 3.1.0-beta-* already have the Dark theme option?

I can't wait to use the dark theme.

Cheers!!!

Like rbaster likes this
bgannin
Atlassian Team
March 29, 2019

No, per the announcements on the mailing list and the release notes it has the sidebar and a number of other improvements.

Jeroen Walter April 21, 2019

Does version 3.1 also come without the need to register for a Bitbucket account?

Installing SourceTree is still impossible if one doesn't need a Bitbucket account.

See https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/Install-Sourcetree-3-Windows-without-Bitbucket-Cloud-or/qaq-p/925281

Like karom31 likes this
IBrown_BluePrint June 6, 2019

Is it still "safe to say you’ll see them released during the first half of 2019" ? Because that halfway point is just over 3 weeks away and I haven't seen Dark Theme show up in the settings menu yet.

Like AlissonSiri likes this
IBrown_BluePrint June 18, 2019

At least it made beta in the first half.
https://bitbucket.org/atlassianlabs/sourcetree-betas/downloads/

guneyozsan June 18, 2019

I just tried it for a day. It feels pretty good.

I agree with the comment on issue topic. On the overall the tone needs to be a little softer. Maybe a little darker, or less contrast, or less saturation. I don't know. Just have your designer type things in various IDE's and alt+tab to source tree frequently. I think they will get what is needed to tweak it.

Thanks for the good work.

Also I liked the performance increase on the overall. It feels more fluent.

Benjamin Fernandez June 18, 2019

I am proposing these colors: https://image.prntscr.com/image/cFLb4kOTS6KKeZ3-g5tidA.png

on the Jira issue SRCTREEWIN-2351

What you think?

Luca Lusuardi June 18, 2019

I really appreciate it.

I wait this retina version for long time.

Thanks a lot, for this beta release.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events