"Start Work in JIRA and activate task" not enabled, even though time tracking in Mylyn is on

I've tried to enable the time tracking option for the Jira connector for Mylyn. In the Mylyn preferences, I have checked the box for "Track time in Eclipse when task is active". However, the button to "Start work in Jira and activate task" is disabled for my tasks (greyed out). I cannot figure out how to enable this or why it is not allowing me to select it. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

Brian

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Brian,

The 'start work' button is available under few conditions. Issue must be in 'progress' or in 'stop' state. Those states come from JIRA default workflow. If you have modified your workflow heavily then it will not work for you. Here is the code:

IN_PROGRESS_STATUS = "3"

START_PROGRESS_OPERATION = "4"

STOP_PROGRESS_OPERATION = "301";

OPEN_STATUS = "1"

protected static boolean isTaskInProgress(TaskData taskData, ITask task) {
return isAssignedToMe(taskData, task) && isInProgressState(taskData) && haveStopProgressOperation(taskData);
}

protected static boolean isTaskInStop(TaskData taskData, ITask task) {
if (isAssignedToMe(taskData, task) && haveStartProgressOperation(taskData)) {
return true;
} else if (!isAssignedToMe(taskData, task) && isInOpenState(taskData)) {
return true;
}

return false;
}

Cheers,

Jacek

@Jacek, Is it possible to put a custom workflow step into 'progress' or 'stop' state? I have a 'Code Complete' step with an outgoing transition of 'In Progress', but I can't Start Work from Eclipse.

Hi,

Your 'Code Complete' step should contain transition to 'In Progress' but that should be a default JIRA transition with ID=4 (START_PROGRESS_OPERATION = "4"). In such case the 'Start Work' button should be enabled.

Thank you for your response! Yes, the transition to "In Progress" exists from "Code Complete" and I have verified this by tranistioning a test issue in Jira from "Code Complete" to "In Progress" successfully. However, the "Start Work" button is disabled when a Jira issue is in "Code Complete" status. Is there anything else I might be able to do to resolve this? Thank you!

Most probably your transition from "Code Complete" to "In Progress" is not a standard "Start Progress" transition and has ID different from "4". That is not supported unfortunatelly.

Supporting this kind of stuff would require building a configuration where users could define their "In Progress" state. It is not planned at the moment.

Cheers,
Jacek

I am very relieved to report that I resolved this problem. I learned from this issue - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/29496/how-to-add-default-start-progress-transition- that I could reuse the Start Progress (ID 4) transition in Diagram mode. Once I hooked this up, my Start Work option was enabled for all my custom statuses. Yay!

Unfortunately, this has stopped working! Although everything is still set up the same way, the Start Work option is disabled again when the issue is in a custom status, even though the status is linked to the "New" state and the "In Progress" transition has ID 4. Any ideas?

If issue is in custom status then in order to have the 'start work' button enabled two conditions must happen:

• Issue must be assigned to you
  • There must be Start Progress transition available (standard JIRA transition with id=301)

I'm not sure at the momement why the first bullet exist. We could consider removing this condition.

if (isAssignedToMe(taskData, task) && haveStartProgressOperation(taskData)) {
return true;}

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Teamwork

What teamwork quotes inspire you?

Hey everyone! My name is Natalie and I'm an editor of the Atlassian Blog and I've got a question for you: What's your favorite quote about teamwork?  We've compiled a list here, along with...

171 views 18 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you