Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree - Why not document such a promising product.

Dan Arnold November 27, 2013

It blows my mind that SourceTree has no documentation. I would rather pay for the product with documentation, than have to Go Fish!

In all fairness, there are just to many open source projects with the same problem. I am a believer that, like unit-tests, documetation should be an integral part of development and the deliverable product.

Most programmers don't have time to read the source, as some suggest.

Atlassian has developed some great products, and this short rant is pertinent to the OSS industry as a whole. Also, I hope it inspires an effort to create some documentation on SourceTree. Many developers will benefit.

1 answer

0 votes
Christopher Watson May 18, 2014

Dan, you may have already gleaned this, but there is documentation for SourceTree. Unfortunately, it evidently exists only as part of the Mac product. The good news is that I heard the plan is to port those docs over to Windows. The bad news? I heard that nearly a year ago. Not good. You would think that the dev team would find some way to export the Mac docs to an interim file format, cobble together some half-way decent-looking PDF of it, and make it available for download, until such time as the Windows product is updated with full docs. While the larger part of SourceTree's UI is fairly self-explanatory (especially if you already have a black belt in git), I've still spent an inordinate and costly amount of my time sussing it all out on my own. And I'm still not quite there.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events