Ok. So the question I am going to propose tonight is straight from the actual problems that come across my desk here within the walls of Atlassian. I figured I would share this with the community to help save someone else the pain of experiencing this.
(1) There exists a start/stop script for an application. It starts an application process as a service user account and when appropriate a stop command will stop the application process.
(2) However, recently when the start and stop did not correspond with a startup and shutdown of the underlying machine, the application could not be started after it was stopped.
(3) Log analysis revealed the following:
SEVERE: Failed to initialize end point associated with ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-127.0.0.1-8080"] java.net.BindException: Address already in use /127.0.0.1:8080
(4) After stopping the application, netstat showed:
tcp6 0 0 127.0.0.1:8080 :::* LISTEN 23681/java tcp6 0 0 127.0.0.1:9080 :::* LISTEN 23681/java tcp6 0 0 127.0.0.1:8005 :::* LISTEN 23681/java tcp6 0 0 :::8009 :::* LISTEN 23681/java
(5) The problem is that the PID_FILE for the application process (before stop) had contained a different process id:
#cat $PID_FILE 23680
(6) After shutdown, process id 23680 had been stopped successfully
(7) If process id 23681 is killed manually, the application will start without issue.
The application in question does not shutdown properly, leaving a child process running as a daemon with TCP sockets open. This prevents the application from being restarted without a manual process termination or a restart of the underlying machine.
The init script that starts/stops the application terminates the parent process with "kill -9 <PID>" rather than a more graceful "kill <PID>"
The application does not have a chance to cleanup after itself.
Change the init script to use
kill $(cat $PID_FILE)
kill -9 $(cat $PID_FILE)
Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.Learn more
Hey everyone! My name is Natalie and I'm an editor of the Atlassian Blog and I've got a question for you: What's your favorite quote about teamwork? We've compiled a list here, along with...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs