Jira 4.x to 5.x upgrade failed -- files in use

Alex Nelson September 25, 2012

Jira 4.x to 5.x upgrade failed. The installer reports that files are in use and cannot be upgraded. Ignoring the files in use did not result in a usable Jira instance. My test upgrades did not see this issue. Please advise as to what the issue could be.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
FagnerF
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2012

Hi Alex,

What operational system are you using?

If there is JIRa running over Windows maybe you installed JIRA as a service so you should stop its service to be able to upgrade your JIRA instance. Also you can check out Running JIRA as a Service document.

Would you please give a try and let me know?

Kind Regards

Windows Server 2008 Standard R2.

Yes, Jira is running as a service. I did not stop the service as I hadn't needed to in my 2-3 test upgrades. I'll give that a try now though.

Thanks.

Stopping the service allowed the upgrade to complete successfully. Thanks all.

0 votes

Not stupid at all. No I had not shut down Jira (stopped the service). I did 2-3 test upgrades without stopping the service and had no issues.

0 votes
David Toussaint [Communardo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2012

stupid question, please forgive if not appropriate. Yet: Has the JIRA been shut down?

Suggest an answer