Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a good way to use Service Desk for a call center?

Allan Edwards October 2, 2013

We'd like to use Service Desk for a University help desk but there are a few limiting factors. There isn't a default way to create an issue for a customer, for one. For another, we have something tens of thousands of customers that we wouldn't want to have to license for. This product is so close to our needs and yet it doesn't seem to quite fit the bill.

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
E.L. Fridge
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2013

Hi Allan,

I work in the IT dept at a university and we are dealing with the same question. We have not transitioned to JIRA Service Desk for our helpdesk yet, but we are going to potentially start using it for some specific help request form sort of situations. I know what you mean about the tens of thousands of users. However, what we are considering is just buying enough JIRA licenses for specific departments or colleges so that we can begin to provide an internal support portal just for employees.

As far as supporting the student population, our current helpdesk works mostly with phone, email, chat and walk-in support. It has no current web support portal. If they moved from their ticketing system to JIRA , we'd have to set up a process where they can make issues for phone/walk-in requests manually. The email would be with a basic JIRA email handler, and service desk would provide a support portal for employees.

Just remember that service desk is a nice portal, but you don't have to get a license for all your students. I suspect that eventually Atlassian will do something for those of us who support thousands of users who don't (and shouldn't) get access to full-blown JIRA.

E.L.

0 votes
Jack Baty October 3, 2013

Same here. I would like to offer customers a nice way to submit and track issues. JIRA Service Desk looked like the solution but it suffers from the same problem plain JIRA does and that is licensing quickly becomes prohibitive for that purpose.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events