Images are not displayed

Jan Can September 17, 2012

I have a problem with display of images on my sites.

http://kvadopedie.kvados.cz/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=15106837

When I open the site with 35 images, only 20% of images are displayed correctly. 80% of images are not displayed (you can see only a red little cross instead of picture). Size of images is between 2kB and 140kB. Images are stored as PNG files.

Have you ever seen this problem before? How to solve this problem?

I was searching for it in older issues, but I haven t found anything related to this problem.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

2 answers

0 votes
Jan Can October 8, 2012

Hi Nic,

I have testeed everything what you have said. Unfortunately I did not find any pattern that would help:

• Location - does not matter (all users are in the same organisation, building, country)
  • Consistency - unfortunately it is not consistent. Every user gets different number of pictures.
  • Random display of pictures - pictures gets displayed randomly at beginning / in the middle / at end of page
  • Change of browser - did not help. I have Chrome and Firefox with same problem.
  • Size of pictures and size of page - sometimes there is a problem on larger pages with more and larger pictures. But it is not the rule. Sometimes there is a problem to display 1 little picture out of 2 pictures.

Do you have any other tips, how to test display of the pictures? Have you ever seen this problem before?

Best regards, Jan

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2012

Hi Jan,

I'm not a Confluence expert, but would you double check if the images really exist on the file system (in the "attachments" directory) and the OS user who are running Confluence has the proper permissions to access it?

Cheers,
Lucas Timm

Jan Can September 18, 2012

Hi Lucas,

thank you for your answer. I have double checked, that images are on the file system. And users have permissions to access them. Everything is fine. The problem is when:

1. Users open a page with more pictures (in IE)
  2. Page starts opening and images starts displaying (in left down corner is "Opening")
  3. After about 10 sec the opening stops, although not all pictures are displayed (in left down corner is "Finished").
  4. When I press F5, it helps sometimes to display more pictures.
  5. I tried to prolong timeout on IN browser in registry on my PC, but it did not help. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813827
  6. I do not want users to press F5 all the time to display pictures..

Do you have any tip, how to display those images?

Best regards, Jan

Jan Can October 1, 2012

Dear all,

Have you ever seen this problem before? Do you know, how to solve this problem? Do you have any tip, how to display those images?

Best regards, Jan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2012

From what you've said, the images should appear, so it's not a case of doing something differently to display them, more a case of making the systems do what they should be doing.

I think you need to look for patterns:

Is it consistent? I mean, can you always guarantee that one set of images will appear, and another set will not (You've already said a refresh can help get more of them, so I don't think it's structural, but I'm looking for other patterns like "user A only gets 2 pictures and user B usually gets around 10")

Is there a location pattern? I don't know how your organisation is laid out, so I'll understand if you can't test this, but I've seen something very similar when working in London - my users were fine, but the ones in Singapore lost pictures. Pretty much proved it was a network problem, but at 9,000 miles, that was understandable.

Is it pictures at the beginning middle or end of the page, or is the distribution of broken ones random?

Is it happening on large pages with lots of pictures, or all pages? Does the size of the page matter?

And one none-pattern - Can you try another browser? A proper one like Chrome or Firefox ideally.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events