How to hide options from select list using JAVASCRIPT?

Yogesh September 15, 2011

Here is a select list with A1, A2 and B1, B2 options. I want hide the A1 and A2 if the issue type is set to Bug during issue creation process.

In shrt, I have a drop down list and would like to remove an option from it, given the text/value of that particular option. Is it possible using javascript? Just like 'append' which adds an option to the drop down list, is there a function to remove an option?

I tried searching for it but all I got were examples where the entire set of options in the drop down list are removed, which is not what I seek.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nikhil Naoghare September 18, 2011

Yogesh, Following is the JS code for the later one.

<script type="text/javascript">
targetCategory = document.getElementById('customfield_10003'); // Main Option
targetSubCategory = document.getElementById('customfield_10003:1'); //Sub Category option.
subCategoryOptionsCount = document.getElementById('customfield_10003:1').length;
tempVar = 0;
while(tempVar < subCategoryOptionsCount)
	{
		if(targetSubCategory.options[tempVar].text=="Option's Name" )
		{
			targetSubCategory.remove(tempVar);
			subCategoryOptionsCount--;
		}	
		tempVar++;
	}
</script>

0 votes
Yogesh October 2, 2011

Thanks Nikhil!!! It worked well!!!

0 votes
Nikhil Naoghare September 18, 2011

Hi Yogesh,

This will only help when the custom field is of Select List type. But what if the custom field is of Cascaded Style. Then there is a differnet way to hide the options in the cascaded list also.

Yogesh September 18, 2011

Yes. I am aware of the option. Once I get some time, I will put the code. Why dont you put your option here itself?

0 votes
Yogesh September 17, 2011

I guess the below code works for me. Even we can create Array for the base value and the field value which should be changed on the basis of base value.

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
window.onload = function() {
var gwrCategory = document.getElementById('customfield_10100'); // MODIFY: Custom field ID
var undesiredValue = "Text option to be hidden"
var issueType = document.getElementById("issue-create-issue-type"); // MODIFY:
var issueA = issueType.innerHTML;
if(issueA == "Bug" ) {
for(var i=0; i<gwrCategory.options.length; i++){
if ( gwrCategory.options[i].text == undesiredValue ){
gwrCategory.remove(i);
break;
}
}
}
};