How can I set the sprint for an issue with Automation for JIRA?

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2017

I'd like to be able to set the sprint for an issue automatically.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2017

You can simply do this with the 'Edit issue' action.  All you need to do is to add the Sprint field and then select from the available options!

sprint-support.png

Sebastián Delmastro October 13, 2017

@andreas we worked with weekly sprints.

Any thoughts to do this automation based on the "active sprint"?

Also other projects works withs sprints too, so I'm not sure if +1 will work given Jira might add sequentially sprint ID for any project.

Thanks

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2017

Hey @Sebastián Delmastro,

This has actually gotten much easier in recent versions. I edited my original answer above. You can now just add the Sprint field to the simple form and pick from the options there!

Cheers,
  Andreas

Sebastián Delmastro October 14, 2017

Thanks @andreas didn't realize you added this feature. Nice work!

Abbas Adel Ibrahim January 23, 2019

Hi @andreas,  which Jira version has this feature? the one I have is v7.11.2  and it doesn't have the auto-suggestion filed. Thanks.

Ofira Daniel May 13, 2021

@andreas  - 

Hi , can you advise how can I set via automation for Jira active sprint if on the drop down I can`t see the board of the project I am searching for ? I see only partial list 

Thanks ! 

Like Sally Hutchings likes this
Sam Kounis November 24, 2021

What about if you run sprints in parallel? An issue I have is that when we have sprints running paralell in the same project, newly created issues always default to the older sprint, rather than the newer one. Is there a way in which is this possible?

Like # people like this
Jenna Dobbins December 10, 2021

I also would like to know the same as Sam. Also, if I have multiple sprints in the backlog, how do I choose which one I want it to go to? 

Like # people like this
Amit Kumar Yadav February 3, 2022

Facing same issue of assigning the latest sprint in automation when multiple are open.

Like # people like this
adsd August 30, 2022

Same problem, would like to be able to choose any of the Sprints, not just active or next

Like # people like this
Adam Ziecik March 3, 2023

@andreas - would you know any workaround for this situation?

Like Gabe Vargas likes this
2 votes
ShreedR C September 28, 2020

@andreas how can I configure Jira Automation to auto pick the most recent active sprint?

In my case, every sprint is planned for 4 weeks and 4th week I have 2 active sprints.

If "Sprint 1" is an active sprint, "Sprint 2" starts by end of 3rd week of "Sprint 1" and "Sprint 3" starts by the end of 3rd week of "Sprint 2".

I am expecting the Jira automation to assign the sprint to the most recent active sprint. (If I pick the next sprint it will not work as I have already started the sprint)

2 votes
Deleted user September 10, 2019

I have tried, but not possible to add to current sprint. Next sprint is no problem. But I would like to add the issue to current sprint when commenting on an issue.

Sebastián Delmastro September 13, 2019

@[deleted] maybe you want to check permissions for active sprints. I have this rule that works with no problem on my Jira config (cloud) with the WebApp project.

Captura de Pantalla 2019-09-13 a la(s) 15.09.50.png

FISICHELLA January 7, 2021

Hello, on my side I can set the rule to get the Sprint to 'Active Sprint (<myBoard>)', but in the logs it does display :

j.jpgI don' t know why the value itself cannot be seen by Automation? I have permissions everywhere, and the rule Actor as well.

Note: I also remarked that behind the scene, our Sprints were actually managed by a complex greenhopper mecanism, filling the customfield_10005 : 

j2.JPG

Like # people like this
Alon Hartman January 18, 2021

I have the same issue.

Any solution?

João Neto March 15, 2021

Also fighting the same issue. Is there any news here?

Alon Hartman March 15, 2021

I resolved my issue by adding the "Automation for Jira" user to the permission schema with the role of "Manage sprints"

Like Sally Hutchings likes this
Adam Ziecik March 1, 2023

Hello All,

Did anyone found solution to this issue?

Prathyush Thummepalli May 18, 2023

Try this 

Action Edit field:
Under Advance

{
"fields": {
"sprint": 275
}
}

Update 275 with your Sprint ID

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer