Hide groups on the portal

Dan Heil January 8, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring request types and workflows

Is there a way to have a request type that is hidden from the portal? When I try and have a request type that is not part of a group, it gives me an error saying that at least 1 group is required.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2016

Request types must be assigned to a group. It's required as you noticed. Can I ask why you'd like a hidden request type? Maybe we can figure something else out...

Dan Heil January 8, 2016

We have an operational request type for internal use only. I just wanted to hide it from the customer portal, but retain the request type. I believe this can be accomplished via request type permissions and I just need time to explore it more.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2016

I don't believe that's possible. It's never been possible to configure permissions by issuetype. I don't think Service Desk gives you any abstraction that allows for additional permissions on requesttypes. If you need separate permissions, you should use a separate project. You can also make an issue type in a project that's not assigned to a request type; this would mean that the only way to create that issuetype would be through the JIRA Create Dialog, not the Portal. That's usually my go-to...

Dan Heil January 8, 2016

Yes, that was going to be my direction if the perms route did not work. Question though, without the Request Type, does the notification scheme still function correctly? I noticed that when my Incident, Service Request and Operation ISSUE TYPES do not have the proper REQUEST TYPE field filled out within the issue itself, the notifications and workflows can be wonky. Wonky in that they work sometimes and sometimes they don't.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2016

Yeah, be sure to read the documentation closely. I'll try to be succinct here. An issue is ONLY a request if it has a valid Request Type set. If it's a REQUEST, Service Desk will use the SERVICE DESK notification scheme for the CUSTOMER. If it's NOT a REQUEST, the JIRA Notification Scheme will take over (for licensed users). The JIRA Notification scheme should always be in place for Agents.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2016
Dan Heil January 8, 2016

Excellent. Thank you for clarification.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2016

Any time Dan.

0 votes
Katarzyna
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 11, 2019

Hi Dan,

You can achieve it using our app Extension for Jira Service Desk which offers a visibility feature. You can define for which Jira groups specified request type will be visible. Read more about it in our documentation.

Best,

Kate

Roland August 19, 2020

This only works for the "server" edition of Jira Service Desk. You can't use it with the hosted version.

Curious if there is any way to achieve this. We also have an internal support request which we don't want customers to be able to choose.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events