Edit in Office - In Chrome

Samantha Starkey June 9, 2017

Hi All

I have been trying to find an answer to this however most of the posts are quite old and I don't know if anything has changed. 

I would like to use the 'Edit in Office' function in Chrome. The option is there, however when I select it, it does nothing. 

Is it possible to do this in Chrome now, if so, is there something else I need to set up in order to get this working. 

I am using: Version 59.0.3071.86

(It is make or break as most of the company use Chrome)

Thank you in advance. 

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2017

Dear Samantha,

I noticed too that this issue has been going for some time. 

See:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-23322

It seems that the only 'fix' possible, as you can read on the support ticket is to have the user allow the ''external protocol'' ms-word the first time the user clicks on the ''Edit Document'' link. Users who have already used the link but did not allow it.. chrome will remember your choice and will not open any ms-word link anymore.

I quote;

So to make sure it´s allowed you need to close chrome, open the file "Local State" located in Users/<userid>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data" and update the key ms-word to false"ms-word":falseThis was the cause for us why it worked for some users and not for others.

I hope this will be of help to you,

Friendly Regards

Jeremy Mooiman

1 vote
Samantha Starkey June 9, 2017

Thank you for your help. We have tried these and it is working on a PC however not on MAC Chrome. 

Anand Aili October 25, 2019

Same here, please guide if anyone solved this issue.

0 votes
Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2017

Hi Samantha,

"Edit in Office" in Chrome is definitly supported in the Confluence cloud version. I just tested an Excel file, could open it in Excel, make changes & saving these back to a new attachment version. 

When using Confluence server (6.2.1 in my case), it is working when:

* An office attachment (Excel, Word,....) when embedded with an "Office Macro" (Open the macro browser & type Excel, you'll be presented a Office Excel macro). After embedding the Excel macro you'll see a "Edit in Office" link above the office content.

* Using the attachments listing of a page (Page menu, Attachments). You can open the attachment in Office by clicking "Edit in Office" on the right side of the listing

* Using the attachment macro. Same as above, there will be an "Edit in Office" link

You won't see an "Edit in Office" link using Chrome, when you open an attachment in preview mode. In contrast to IE & Firefox, the three dot menu is hidden in Chrome.

Hope this gives you a hint...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events