Conflicting TXT record for domain verification

Nick Reilingh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2024

I want to verify a domain for sending emails, which requires setting a TXT record on the domain, for example as described in documentation:

https://support.atlassian.com/organization-administration/docs/copy-and-add-dns-records-to-your-domain-provider/

However, my DNS for this domain is on AWS Route53, and I already have a TXT record for google-site-verification. Route53 won't allow me to add a second TXT record, so I am unable to complete the Atlassian domain verification. Is there a workaround or other solution?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jim Knepley - ReleaseTEAM
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 19, 2024

What behavior are you seeing in Route 53 that suggests that you can't have more than one TXT record?

It's with a different DNS provider, but I have several TXT records with the same name and they all get returned when I do a DNS query of them. I don't remember Route53 being any different when I used it.

edit: it might be a semantic difference in how the UI displays the record. My provider shows different values as different records, whereas on R53:

A TXT record contains one or more strings that are enclosed in double quotation marks (").

Nick Reilingh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2024

Using the AWS console interface, I get:

Error occurred
A record with the specified name already exists.
(InvalidChangeBatch 400: Tried to create resource record set [name='fc.bard.edu.', type='TXT'] but it already exists)

But thanks for confirming this isn't necessarily a global phenomenon -- I did some digging and discovered that one simply needs to have the multiple TXT values added to the same record -- they actually document this as "To enter more than one TXT value, enter one value per row."

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events