Can active directory accounts be mixed with local accounts? Are there any pitfalls that we need to be careful about?

Most of our users are internal, but do you have many users external to your company.

Can JIRA use a mix of Active Directory accounts and local accounts.

Are there any pitfalls that we need to be careful about?

2 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
1 vote

Yes, it can work very well. The only point that you should be aware is that if you have the same username coming from both the directories, it will result in JIRA authenticating the user with the first directory in the directory order. This can confuse at times, and as an administrator you should be aware of this.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Multiple+Directories

They can work well BUT you need to be careful to setup some rules so they do not overlap.

Here is an example of my current implementation which is quite complex:

• LDAP accounts contains only alphanumeric characters (that's was already company policy)
  • I added all the service accounts in crowd as LOCAL directory, all of them are stating with . (dot)
  • People can register but they are forced to create an account name that contains at least one . (dot) inside. The rule is implemented via javascript :P

If you do not set clear rules to prevent overlapping you are preparing for an administration nightmare.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published 12 hours ago in Jira Ops

Jira Ops Early Access Program Update #1: Announcing our next feature and a new integration

Thanks for signing up for Jira Ops! I’m Matt Ryall, leader for the Jira Ops product team at Atlassian. Since this is a brand new product, we’ll be delivering improvements quickly and sharing updates...

163 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you