Can I modify the skills needed for an individual Jira issue?

Doug Couvillion December 28, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Learn stages and skills

JIRA Portfolio Cloud seems to apply the same stages/skills to all JIRA issue within a plan.  Is there any way to modify the stages or skills on a per issue basis?  For example, I might want to add the skills Javascript Development and Database Development to the Implementation stage.  While those are both common skills, not every issue requires both.  If I have an issue that does not involve Javascript is there some way to remove it from that ticket so scheduling is not dependent on a team member with Javascript skills?

I should mention this question is for a Kanban project not a Scrum project.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2016

Hi Doug, 

You can manage the skills necessary for each issue by changing the estimate for that skill on said issue.

• Set up your common stages and skills with their default estimates
  • Navigate to the scope view
  • Expand the estimate column to display all the stages and skills (ensure the estimate column is visible by clicking on the scope table config cog)
  • Override any default skill estimate with your preferred estimate, e.g. you can set it to '0' if the skill is not required. 

Cheers,
Allard 

Doug Couvillion December 29, 2016

Allard,

Thanks for your help!  I was looking for the stages and skills on the JIRA issue itself and didn't even think to expand the Estimate column on the Scope view within portfolio.  That works!

Doug

Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 29, 2016

@Doug Couvillion, glad I could help you.
If this answers your question, could you please mark the answer as correct? Thanks!

Kyle_Semon August 7, 2019

It's been 2 years and Atlassian still hasn't updated their documentation with how to assign a specific skill to a specific issue from within Portfolio.

Suggest an answer