Access the REST API as a specific user rather than an overall system

Beckah Sheeler August 1, 2017

So, right now, I am accessing the JIRA Rest API through my rails app.

If a user of my app wants change the "status" of an issue, I check to see if their associated JIRA user account is a member of groups with permissions to change that issue's status. 

For instance, if the JIRA username "Beckah" is part of the "jira-administrators" groups, they can change an issue's status from "In Progress" to "Complete".

My question is, is there a way to enforce these kinds of rules through Jira's rest API? In plain English, with a Rest PUT request, "User Beckah wants to move Issue NEM-11 to Complete" and see if it JIRA responds with an error or success based on Beckah's permissions to update that issue. 

Let me know if that makes any sense or if more details are needed.

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2017

You need to use oAuth instead of basic auth in your rails app. You also need to support user impersination. https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/jira-rest-api-oauth-authentication/

Beckah Sheeler August 1, 2017

Is there a specific tutorial on jira oauth user impersonation? can't find anything.

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2017

Suggest an answer