Questions outside space

Антон Кох April 18, 2018

Hello,

I am looking to solve two requirements:

1) Only allow users to ask questions 'outside particular space' (disable option to assign the question to specific space).

2) Manage who can ask such questions and who can admin content (edit, delete etc). I read in the specifications that some sort of 'global questions space' is created and the permissions should be managed on it, but I could not find this space in the list of my spaces.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Anton

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2018

Hi,

1.  It looks like you, as an admin, would have to stay on top of the topics in order to avoid putting them in a particular space.  Here is some documentation about adding questions to a space. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/questions/integrate-questions-with-your-spaces-407724495.html

I think to best answer this first part I would like to know more about the reason to do this? If you could explain more that'd be great.

2.  If you click spaces there should be a "Questions for Confluence" Space and if you click on that, (even if there's no content it should be there once you install the plugin) you can navigate to permissions then add-on to determine who can view, add, and delete questions.

You can also get to the admin by clicking "questions" in the side panel and then clicking on the space settings

Hope this helps

Антон Кох April 19, 2018

Hi Patrick,

1 - We use our spaces as a way to provide several versions of documentation for different releases (using Scroll Versions tool). We don't want users to post questions related to a particular space - we just want to build community over the entire website, not related to particular documentation version. 

Could you clarify what you mean by 'avoid putting topics in a particular space'? When a topic is created, it is not assigned to a space.

2. I did this, but unfortunately I cannot understand why a user without admin permissions (and no write permissions in any space) is still allowed to create new topics by assigning them to questions and even edit descriptions of topics that they did not create. Is this expected behavior?

Thanks

Anton

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2018

1.  I found this question from before, tested it, and it works.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions-for-Confluence/Disable-asking-questions-in-a-space/qaq-p/55246

Wen you assign topics you can affiliate those topics to a space, I was just troubleshooting.

2.  When you give them the use permission you are granting them add and edit access.  As you know in Confluence add includes edit for pages, you then can restrict editing on a page level individually if needed.  

If you do the above your users won't be able to pick spaces for the questions.  They can still use topics, but they won't organize into spaces unless you choose to do that as a user with the can-use confluence permission.

Users editing each others question topics should not happen, I agree.  Unfortunately every question must have one topic.  As an admin I think you can delete topics though.

Антон Кох April 19, 2018

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the link!  This is what I was looking for in terms of disabling questions being inside specific spaces.

I still cannot understand how you 'affiliate a topic to a space' though. 
Here is a window I get for topic editing. It is not related to any particular space when it is created (directly or by asking a question with it).
Could you clarify how you do that?

Thanks
Anton

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2018

so the anonymous users who are adding the questions cannot do this, but the users with can-use permission on confluence might be able to depending on page permissions.

using question macros you can add questions to a space homepage depending on the topics.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/questions/integrate-questions-with-your-spaces-407724495.html

I guess it's not a direct affiliation but if you put some of these macros in your spaces and your anonymous users added topics then their questions could still show up in the space with the macro that uses that topic.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events