Questions not appearing after a Rebuild from scratch of the Index. Do I need to restore?

Quinn Cervantes-Prevo November 29, 2018

We had issues where only some of the questions weren't appearing in some of our spaces. We attempted to complete a UI driven rebuild of the content index, and that failed due to an OOM received. It was decided to adjust our heap and rebuild from scratch our content index. Now we can only see ~15 questions overall. We see there are questions that have been asked, and the only way to view those old ones, is if there is a direct link reference elsewhere in a page. 

Should we restore our index directory or question directory at this point? Is there another index we should complete? 

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2018

Hi Quinn,

Could you first try to rebuild your index from scratch and see if that helps?

The method for rebuilding the content index from scratch will vary depending on your version of Confluence.

For Confluence 5.6 and Above

1. Shut down Confluence
  2. Perform a safety backup of the following two directories to a different location:
    • <confluence-home>/index/
    • <confluence-home>/journal/
  3. Delete the two original directories:

• <confluence-home>/index/
    • <confluence-home>/journal/
  4. (Optional): If your journalentry table is very large (10000+ entries) we recommend that you delete the contents of this table to shorten the rebuild time.

5. Start Confluence
  6. Navigate to Confluence Admin > Content Indexing and click "Rebuild"
  7. (Optional): If desired, restore the following directories from your backup from Step 2:

• <confluence-home>/index/plugin - this is where the Usage Tracking plugin stores the usage statistics
    • <confluence-home>/index/edge - this is where popularity data for regular content is stored
    • <confluence-home>/index/questions-edge - this is where Confluence Questions stores popularity data

If you have trouble getting your questions back with that, please let me know your Confluence version as well as CQ version and what error messages you were seeing when the indexing failed.

Shannon

Quinn Cervantes-Prevo December 4, 2018

That is what we tried and got us in a worse state of only seeing questions that had been posted within a day. We resolved most of our issue with just completing another rebuild via UI a day later. 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2018

Thank you for confirming, Quinn. I apologize that I missed that you had done that as well.

Can you confirm which parts of your issue are still not resolved?

Regards,

Shannon

Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2019

What was the resolution to this?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 12, 2019

Stephen,

I believe the majority of their issues were resolved with a second rebuild, via the UI:

It's not clear to me what the other issues were and if they were resolved in the end, but I would try both the UI rebuild and a rebuild in the filesystem. 

Regards,

Shannon

Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2019

Indeed, just rebuilding again did it.  Thanks Shannon.  

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2019

Glad to hear, Stephen!

Take care and have a pleasant weekend.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events