How do you disable the Google Docs macro?

Clinton Loo November 8, 2019

Whenever I paste a link to a Google Doc in a Confluence page, it uses the Google Docs macro to create a giant preview of the doc. How do I turn this off? It is completely useless, especially when pasted into a table.

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 8.36.52 AM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2019

Hi @Clinton Loo ,

While you can't disable the Google Drive app add-on as a non-admin user, you can disable it on a case-by-case basis:

After pasting in a Google drive URL, it will auto-reformat into an embed. Use Command-Z or Control-Z to "undo" -- you might have to do that a couple of times -- and you'll see the embed disappear and return to a regular URL.

You can then use the edit link feature (click on the link, choose Edit link) to change the text to display if you want (for example, display "September sales spreadsheet" instead of a lengthy URL)

Hope this helps!
Sharon

Clinton Loo November 12, 2019

Didn't know about this feature(?)! Thanks for the suggested workaround.

Like Daniel Shakhmundes likes this
Daniel Shakhmundes May 29, 2020

Thanks for the Ctrl+Z tip, @Sharon Helms!

Like Sharon Helms likes this
Raisa MacLeod June 11, 2020

This is what i used to do but no longer works :( Super frustrating

andrew.starks
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 6, 2020

Hazza! thanks for the hack. It works great!

0 votes
Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 8, 2019

If you manage your apps the Google Drive app should show up there. If you really don't need it you can just uninstall it and this will not happen anymore.

Clinton Loo November 8, 2019

I see. It seems like the apps are managed by the Confluence admin. I don't see any options to manage apps. Silly that there's no way to disable it on a user preferences basis though. Thanks for trying to help.

Sven Schatter _Lively Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 8, 2019

You are right about apps being managed by Confluence admins.

I think the "url pasting macro conversion" feature is actually pretty cool and often very useful. In your case you'll probably have to resort to inserting the link via the link menu if you can't get the app uninstalled. Or you could trick the system by using an URL shortener. :P

However one way or another you'll need to find your way around just pasting the URL.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events