Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fullName is not getting set while creating User

dhiman.das September 17, 2020

Warning: Before I write anything, if you're going to try the same, it's a request not to use this "@opsgenie.com" domain to create a user. There's a serious issue with your "@opsgenie.com" domain and other domain.

Let's explain you the scenario:

1. I'm trying to create a user, using postman

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.49.15 AM.png

2. After "created" response, I have tried to do a get by user id, and surprisingly the "fullName" is mismatched. If you notice it property the "fullName" is nothing but the first part of your "username".

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.50.34 AM.png

3. Here's the UI result

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.51.30 AM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

I tried it on test domain but it seems to be working fine. Here is command I tried,

curl -X POST  'https://api.opsgeni.com/v2/users' -H "Content-Type: application/json" --header 'Authorization: GenieKey <API_KEY>' --data '{ "username": "john.doe@example.com", "fullName": "John Doe", "role": { "name": "User" } }' 

Please do replace API_KEY with valid API Key.

Thank you for your response. I forgot to mention one more thing, it seems like John Doe is hardcoded or something like that. Can try with something different? Not with "John Doe" and not with the "@opsgenie.com" domain.

@DPKJ 

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

I did tried different name, John Doe is just to give you overview.

@DPKJAlright. Thank you. I will try with different API Key. But it's happening with every account. Even with enterprise version also.

@DPKJI hope you have tried with a random domain apart from your test set. I really feel like something is not right.

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2020

Let me ask someone from Atlassian team to take a look at this. I think this is one of the main API and I don't think if it has bug it will unknown to them.

@DPKJI appreciate it.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2020

Hi @dhiman.das ,

I can confirm the behavior you're seeing. In the past, Opsgenie accounts were standalone, but they are now integrated with the rest of the Atlassian suite via a shared Atlassian Account. With the usage of Atlassian Accounts in OpsGenie, the fullName value is effectively overwritten by whatever name the user has set at id.atlassian.com/manage-profile. This is generally going to give you a good name for people who already have Atlassian accounts. However as you noticed with a random test account, that value doesn't line up. This is because the "new user" won't have a name on their Atlassian account until they verify their email address and log in to complete their account setup.

This could be a better experience - for example you might expect that fullName value to go across to the Atlassian Account to help pre-set the name. I'll raise this with our team - thank you for pointing this out and I hope the explanation is useful!

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Like # people like this

@Daniel EadsThank you so much. I would really like to go with this "This could be a better experience - for example, you might expect that fullName value to go across to the Atlassian Account to help pre-set the name" as it will reflect the same behavior as the way UI behaves while creating a user.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events