• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Why is Opsgenie touching my Do Not Distrub setting. Please Stop

When using OpsGenie I have noticed that my phone's Do Not Disturb settings are getting over ridden. This is causing me to miss other important notifications which are resulting in my boss calling my wife's phone to wake me up at 4:00(EDT) in the morning because I did not respond to a notification from a different app.

My Do Not Disturb settings are set for a reason. Please correct your software to NOT override my settings.

1 answer

0 votes
Samir Atlassian Team Mar 30, 2021

Hi @Brian Grier - is this on iOS? If so - did you enable "Critical Alerts" for the Opsgenie mobile app?

You can check this by going to your phone Settings -> Notifications -> Opsgenie, and toggle off "Allow Critical Alerts". This is a feature that, when enabled, will override Silent/DND settings. The reasoning is because some people need Opsgenie notifications to wake them up, so this feature allows the notifications to be played at full volume.

You have the option to turn it off by toggling that switch.

Thanks,

Samir

No this is on Android 11.

The version of Android should not be an issue, Your software SHOULD NOT be changing my DND setting. It should also not be changing my ring volume to 0.

Just fix the app to NOT modify any DND settings. They are set for a reason. You application muting other applications is just wrong.

One more thing.
I was aware enough when I added Opsgenie to my phone I granted it permissions to notify me while DND is active, which is WORK HOURS.

It is that simple. You have tried to make it so simple an idiot can use it, But instead you broke things.

Does it make sense to turn Do-Not-Disturb ON while setting the ring volume to ZERO so your app can alert me when it needs to? I mean Do-Not-Disturb is already off, and I really would like to know when my wife, or boss at 4:00 in the morning, is calling me.. 

Samir Atlassian Team Mar 30, 2021

Hi @Brian Grier Thank you for clarifying.

The ability for the Opsgenie app to overwrite Do Not Disturb is a feature we offer since a lot of users want to receive Opsgenie notifications even when DND is enabled. For example, to be woken up in the middle of the night for critical alerts.

So we wouldn't be able to completely remove the feature of Opsgenie being able to manage the phone DND settings, as this is a feature a lot of people use.

There are 2 ways to manage DND settings with apps...

1) There is an option within the Opsgenie app itself to "Always play Opsgenie notification sounds at full volume even if the phone is in silent mode". This feature is discussed here: https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/android-app-enabling-disabling-notification-overwrite-volumes. When you launch the Opsgenie app for the first time, there's a popup that asks if you want to let opsgenie control your DND settings.

If you do it this way, then if DND is on and an Opsgenie notification comes in, the OG app will turn DND off so you receive the notification, and then turn it back on.

You can disable that option if you don't want the Opsgenie app to be able to control your DND settings

2) Alternatively, you can manage your phone's DND settings by going to Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Do Not Disturb, then there's an "Apps" section to display which apps can "ignore" DND. So if you do it this way, then even when DND is turned on, OG notifications will still go through.

We usually recommend option 2, doing it through the phone settings. Especially if you have a "Schedule Do Not Disturb" setup, because Android doesn't allow apps to see the schedule, so if Opsgenie turns DND off to notify, then turns it back on, it will be turned on indefinitely, instead of being set back to the schedule.

It's probably worth uninstalling the app, and re-installing so you can start fresh with the permissions settings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Samir

Like # people like this

I'll try reinstalling, but my main concern is that your software turned ON Do-Not-Disturb while setting the ring volume to ZERO.

If that persists we will have to re-evaluate your solution.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Opsgenie

Investigate deployment-related incidents with Bamboo and Opsgenie together

Back in April of last year one of the major product announcements from Opsgenie was the launch of the Incident investigation view which created a deep connection between Bitbucket and Opsgenie, empow...

1,414 views 1 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you