Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does opsgenie skip rule if user saw alert?

Daniel Hardaker October 23, 2023

Hi i want it so opsgenie doesn't skip log says: RULE[NEW ALERT][CREATE][IMMEDIATE STEP] -> Skipped notifying. User has seen this alert.

We cant have this the user should be reminded they need to acknowledge the alert before it gets escalated!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Skyler Ataide
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2023

Hi Daniel! 

This functionality exists with the aim of reducing alert fatigue and there is not currently a way to turn this functionality off and revert alerts to an un-seen status once the user has opened/viewed the alerts. However, there are a few ways currently to have 'seen' alerts still notify users until they are ACK'D or Closed. One such way is through the Escalation Policy for a team. Through an Escalation Policy, you can configure the rules so that if the Alert has not been acknowledged in X minutes, notify someone, then if it's still not acknowledged in Y minutes then notify someone else (or the same person again). This is our design for alerting team members to alerts after a period of time while an alert is 'seen' but not acknowledged.

Additionally, we have a public feature request here which you can vote for and add yourself as a watcher on for future updates on the ability to disable "stopping notification when user views the alert": https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/OPSGENIE-36 

Hopefully this helps! 

Daniel Hardaker October 25, 2023

thanks Skyler, yes ive joined the protest. this is such stupid logic that i have already on my escalation policy "IF NOT ACKNOLEDGED THEN DO THIS" but i look at my phone and not acknowledged it and then it skips me! how is that "IF NOT ACK THEN DO THIS" thats actually "IF not ack or not seen do this". putting silent criteria in defeats the whole object of us setting our own conditions!!

Skyler Ataide
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2023

Hi Daniel, 

I can certainly understand the value of this use case. Thank you for leaving a comment on the feature request as this does help our product team triage these feature requests for future development. Although I'm unable to provide an exact estimate for when/if this feature will be implemented, there does appear to be a significant number of votes/comments for the ability to disable "stopping notification when user views the alert" which should help the feature request gain priority above lower ranked requests. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events