Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why alerts are not being auto-assigned?

Joanne Oliveira October 7, 2022

Hey Team!

I set some alerts from New Relic to OpsGenie but they are not being auto-assigned as I thought they should be. This is what I see in the Alert Log

Skipping Create alert notification policies for alert because it doesn't have an owner team.

I created a Global Policy, to assign to my team, shouldn't this be enough? I think I am missing something :( 

image (5).png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2022

Hi @Joanne Oliveira ,

Alerts cannot be auto-assigned to a user. A user needs to acknowledge the alert to become the Owner, or the alert can be assigned to a user as well:

own1.jpg

Sending alerts to a team through an integration or Alert policy would notify your users based on what you have configured under the team's On-call tab; reviewing the routing rules, escalations, and on-call schedules.

You should be able to send these alerts directly to the team through the integration instead of using an Alert policy, but I suppose it's all dependent on the use case.

The log you shared - "Skipping Create alert notification policies for alert because it doesn't have an owner team" - isn't really related to notifying your users though. Notification policies are used to delay / suppress notifications, auto-close alerts or restart notifications. They only can be applied to the Owner team of an alert though - like this team:

own2.jpg

Joanne Oliveira October 10, 2022

Hi Nick, thanks for clarifying, let me explain a little bit.

My customer has a huge amount of integrations set on OpsGenie to conect with New Relic. I find these hard to maintain and I was thinking if there's a way to have one unique integration and put the rules to assign alerts to groups somewhere else. I thought about creating a single integration, and then create global policies. Would that work?

I looking for a solution where we still have rules but a single integration for all the teams.

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2022

Hi @Joanne Oliveira ,

That makes sense. Alert policies can be used for this use case, but you should be able to configure this under one integration without alert policies.

If you leave the integration global - meaning it is not assigned to any team - then a Responder field appears within each create alert action.

Each action can filter on whatever data is being received from New Relic, then add the corresponding responder/team to the alert. For example:

newr1.jpgnewr2.jpgnewr3.jpg

Some things to note:

• The Advanced tab is only available on the standalone Opsgenie Standard and Enterprise plans, or JSM/O Premium and Enterprise plans.
  • Integration actions are processed in an order of operations from top >> down. If Opsgenie does not match on the Community action above, the Dev action would be reviewed, and so on - until a match is met.
  • Once a match is met, Opsgenie will not review any other actions - so order sometimes matters.
  • Regex is used within the State condition as an AND/OR.
Joanne Oliveira October 10, 2022

That actually helped a lot! Thank you so much :) 

Like Nick H likes this
0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2022

Hi @Joanne Oliveira 

Did you create any schedule for your team? Who is on-call during specific hours?

Joanne Oliveira October 8, 2022

Hi Alex!

I am the only one currently on the Team and yeah, I am on-call 

image (6).png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events