Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Outgoing Flow to Solarwinds

Nick Ragsdale March 22, 2023

Hey folks! I'm a new user trialling OpsGenie and hoping to add it to the organization as a way to monitor and address alerts on the go.

I've already gotten the integration set up on the Solarwinds side; alerts created for certain criteria do successfully create an OpsGenie alert. I've also installed the OEC for Solarwinds on the same Windows host as the Solarwinds instance and confirmed the service is running, and have whitelisted the appropriate Amazon SQS hosts (been working with Support on this for a bit, shoutout to Jonas).

Unfortunately, it seems some part of this integration still eludes me - the reverse flow for OpsGenie to acknowledge or close Solarwinds alerts does not function. Given that I have the big boss breathing down my neck, I thought I'd try pinging the community as well. The global block for the config.json is below:

{

"apiKey": "theKey",

"baseUrl": "https://api.opsgenie.com",

"logLevel": "INFO",

"globalArgs": [],

"globalFlags": {

"url": "https://localhost:17778",

"hostname": "hostname",

"login": "dummyName",

"password": "workingPass"

}

I'm really kind of lost here and don't really want to have to pursue another solution, but without getting this integration working before our trial ends next week, I'm afraid I'm going to have to switch to an alternative. Let me know any other context or information I can offer and I'll be glad to supply it here.
Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nick Ragsdale March 24, 2023

In case anyone else is giving a Solarwinds/OEC integration on Windows a try going forward: our snag was the environmental variable for %PATH% being set at the user level during Python installation. We had to set it at the system level and restart the service, and voila - everything works as intended.

0 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2023

Hi @Nick Ragsdale ,

I think we would want to review a few other things to troubleshoot the issue you are facing such as the OEC logs, stdout or stderr logs, /var/log/opsgenie, etc. - but I would suggest also opening a ticket with Opsgenie support again. 

We should also be able to extend your trial as well so you are able to get this working as expected.

Once the issue is resolved, we can resurface here and share our findings / steps to troubleshoot this. 

Nick Ragsdale March 22, 2023

Hey fellow Nick,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I do find it interesting that /var/logs/opsgenie is being referenced both by Atlassian support and by the documentation - that looks like a *nix path to me, not Windows, and there's definitely no directory structure like that in the OEC. I've also been unlucky enough to not get any stdout or stderr logs in the output folder.

I'll bump the open ticket with the full config.json file and the Python script that I've shamelessly appropriated from another forum and adapted for our environment. 

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events